Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible to connect to the wii and computer?  (Read 4940 times)

Pleanie

Topic Starter

Rookie

Possible to connect to the wii and computer?
    « on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
    (I came here last time and got great help so I thought I would come again)

Since Comcast doesn't use wireless internet, I've been using an LAN adapter to play my Animal Crossing game online. The problem is, since I only have Ethernet cables with 2 ends, I can either connect to the computer or my wii. This was very frustrating to do while I played my wii game.

But...

In that big comcast box they sent us, I discovered a blue usb cord. I tried connecting it to my -Comcast interent black box thingie- and to my computer but it wont let me on the internet.

I only wanted to use the usb cord for my computer when I'm playing my wii with LAN but... Is this possible?

Sorry if I'm ignorant, I know absolutely nothing about computers so... Simple words please :)

Thank you for helping me.

P.S. I'm not sure if you actually needed to know my computer specs or something because this is an internet related problem so I didn't  post mine.

manadude2

Intermediate

Re: Possible to connect to the wii and computer?
      « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
      I used to have a modem that I connected my PS2 to and my computer.

The PS2 used a LAN cable, and the computer used a blue USB cable, just like yours.

To get the internet working on the PC, I had to install some drivers which came on the CD with the modem.

If you still have that CD, insert it and run it BEFORE plugging in the blue wire, if you don't, you may be able to download them from the manufacturers website.
      Something went wrong here...

Pleanie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »
        Oohh... So that's what that CD was for... Hehe.

Well... I downloaded the driver and the usb now works on my computer. The problem is, I connected the LAN cable to my Wii using the Wii LAN connector thingie and it still doesn't work. I got this error code: 52020 so I looked it up.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=52020&system=Wii&locale=lang

Apparently, number 2 says that it is most likely unable to support more than one device at a time. So... I guess that's it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
        Another option is to get a router and an additional CAT5 cable.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Pleanie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
          ...Huh?

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
          ...Huh?

Router is a (wireless router) that lets you connect to the internet.

Cat5 cable is a network cable (like the ones you are using) (booster cable).

Cables:  http://www.comms-express.com/categories/rj45-patch-leads/?gclid=CPCg1drxxpsCFZwA4wodX02IDg

Routers: http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/packages/?sort=bestsellers

These websites are just to show you the products, I'm not suggesting you purchase them from these places.
          Hope that helps  :D

Pleanie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »
            Ohh... I used to have linksys (Before I kicked it over) as a wireless router. I see... Thank you for the information.

Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper router than linksys and works well. I don't need the wireless capability.

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
            Dlink make some good routers. To be fair most are wireless these days. But they do non wireless. Not much difference in cost to be fair.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB/DLGlobalLandingDetail&cid=1197318962104&p=1197318962104&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB/DLWrapper

This is an English site though.

It depends where your from really.

Pleanie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
              Ook, thank you. It's probably not worth 30$+ for a router though.

manadude2

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 03:13:39 AM »
                Ook, thank you. It's probably not worth 30$+ for a router though.

They're one of the cheaper ones. They range from around $10 to over $100 (Or £10 to £100 in the UK) but it depends what brand, type, speed, how many ports, wireless etc. Also be sure to get an ADSL router, not a network router, I made that mistake once, couldn't find where to plug in the telephone line, because I couldn't!
                Something went wrong here...

mroilfield

Mentor
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 04:07:09 AM »
                I happen to have Comcast as my internet provider and I have wireless in my house. I just purchased a wireless router and hooked it up to my Modem. Your Wii should have wireless capability so if you are buying a router any way you should go ahead and get a wireless one that way if you or some else ever brings over a laptop or other device that has wireless capabilities you will be all set up for it to work and you won't have to run a cable to your Wii.

Manadude2

Comcast is a cable provider that also offers high speed internet so they use a cable modem. The OP doesn't need an ADSL router.
                You can't fix Stupid!!!

killerb255

Adviser
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »
                  Manadude2

Comcast is a cable provider that also offers high speed internet so they use a cable modem. The OP doesn't need an ADSL router.

To add to that, even if the OP was using DSL, it wouldn't be a problem to chain the DSL modem (or any type of broadband modem, minus perhaps cellular) to a network router's WAN or Internet port.
                  Quote from: talontromper
                  Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.