Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Computer is losing memory!!  (Read 13841 times)

bec_kfg777

Topic Starter

My Computer is losing memory!!
    « on: August 08, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »
    I really don't understand this. My computer, has steadily been losing memory over the past couple of weeks.

I started with 110 GB about a week or so ago, and till round about yesterday, it slowly dwindled till 86 GB, THOUGH NOTHING WAS ADDED TO MY COMPUTER! I did not make any downloads, or convert any movies or music, and if anything, definitely not anything over 1 GB.

Then today, I checked my memory again, and now it states it only has 31 GB left! This is ridiculous cause' I have like, 230 GB hard drive and now its 31 GB, though I can't for the life of me figure out what is taking up the memory!

No installations, no downloads, no movies or music or any big files.

One thing I did do though, was a lot of defragmentation and compression of files and cleanups. Could that have anything to do with it? Aren't this utilities meant to optimise your memory?

Really hope someone can help, I'm like.. fully stumped and quite frustrated.  ???

Thanks...

hot dog

Re: My Computer is losing memory!!
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:31:18 AM »
    One thing I did do though, was a lot of defragmentation and compression of files

Perhaps you accidentally decompressed a bunch of stuff, not compressed..  Are you sure you compressed?

Go into My Computer, click on the C drive, right click on ALL folders that you think you compressed, select properties.  In the general tab, click the advanced button.  Look where it says, "Compress or Encrypt Attributes"  If there is a check in the box, then that means it's compressed, if there is no check in the box, that means it is uncompressed.  If there is no check in the box, go ahead an put a check in the box, click OK, Apply, ect..  And watch it compress again...(to save space)        Do this to all folders you want to compress..

bec_kfg777

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:52:33 AM »
      Didn't work - I tried system restore on advice of another person, it has now halved. System restore reported an error. I have now 15 GB on my 230 GB hard drive left.

WTH.

I'm sorry I'm just.. dying!!!

SOMEONE HELP!!!

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:57:33 AM »
      hmmmmm, strange

pretty soon you are going to be "The Incredible Shrinking Man"  ;D

It's a very old movie

Open a command prompt (START, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and type:  chkdsk    hit enter, let it run and see what the results turn up, as far as getting back disk space

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
      I have a hunch that it's the Shadow Copy.

Try here.
      Evil is an exact science.