Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Publishing a web page  (Read 9272 times)

Skydove

Topic Starter

Rookie

Publishing a web page
    « on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:28 PM »
    Hi Eveyone

I've just finished designing my web page (first time).  I was wondering if anyone knows how you get this published onto the internet?  I have an ISP but have never done this before.

Thank you.
     ???

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Publishing a web page
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:46:15 AM »
    You need some webspace. Does your ISP offer that? Also probably going to need a ftp upload site with user name and password.

Alot of ISP's offer a small amount of webspace. Read through your paperwork or call your ISP.
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Skydove

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:03 AM »
      Thank you for that, I'll check into it all.

Cheers

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:10:23 AM »
      You do know if you want a domain name (e.g. computerhope.com), then you'll have to pay for it? Just do a Google for "web host" + the area you live in.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
      You do know if you want a domain name (e.g. computerhope.com), then you'll have to pay for it? Just do a Google for "web host" + the area you live in.
      Theres still places that offer free webspace. With stipulations ofcourse. Plus you usualy have to use their editors now and they dont offer ftp uploads.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
      Theres still places that offer free webspace. With stipulations ofcourse. Plus you usualy have to use their editors now and they dont offer ftp uploads.
      Yes, but we should determine whether Skydove wants his own domain name or whether he's satisfied with a website URL such as http://www.geocities.com/mysite/.  If he wants his own domain name so that his URL is in the format of www.mysite.com, then he needs to register a domain name.  He may be able to register through a web hosting service with which he also chooses to have his site hosted on a web server.  Or, he can use a registrar website for the domain name registration and use some other hosting service. 

I use godaddy.com as a registrar, ie. to register domain names.  They do offer hosting but I do not use them for hosting.  And, keep in mind some of the free hosting options, such as your ISP - if, in fact, they offer free space space - would not accommodate publishing your registered domain name so that you could have www.mysite.com; again, your URL would be something like www.myisp.mysite.

If you want to register a domain name and use a hosting service which allows FTP upload and download, you may find a few free hosting service but you can find many paid hosting services, often at very low cost.  For example, the Starter plan at http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/ is $4/mo.

clutchsins

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
        I'd definitely look into your ISP rules and what not. If they allow web hosting AND don't block port 80, then you could always use a personal comp as a web server. It's not as complex as some think, only 2 applications are required if updating from the actual computer/server: A web host (IE Apache2.2) and a client for dynamic IP (DynDNS). There's ton of info online and it's a lot more satisfying to make your own server then use someone else's.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
        It's not as complex as some think, only 2 applications are required if updating from the actual computer/server: A web host (IE Apache2.2) and a client for dynamic IP (DynDNS).

Or else just install XAMPP or WAMP.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
        You can get a somewhat personalised web address using www.shorturl.com Its just a redirect site. So you can get webspace anywhere then use this.

Again its not 100% www.yourdomain.com but it is free. And the dont fill your site with popups only a very small bar accross the bottom.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:34:59 AM »
        And the dont fill your site with popups only a very small bar accross the bottom.
        Well, why put up with a bar like that when you don't have to? Try 110mb.com instead. Then just get a co.nr redirection.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »
        You can also get a .tk domain for free at www.dot.tk They don't place any ads either - It just changes the favicon. You can even set it up without an email address but if you do that you can't change anything later.

Cameron Gray

Skydove

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
          Many thanks everyone for your replies.  I am going to check out some of these websites.  I've also contacted my ISP and found out about registering my domain name and them hosting my web pages.  It does cost as many of you have said.     Thanks for all the tips.

Skydove

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »
            Hi Clutchsins

Your information was very interesting.  I didn't know you could turn your own PC into a server.  I think I'll do some more research on this.

Thanks again.

Skydove

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »
              Hi KPac

I do not know very much about computer, so am finding all the information given to me here very good.  When you said "Or else just install XAMPP or WAMP".  What are these? and how do you get them?

Thanks.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
              Your information was very interesting.  I didn't know you could turn your own PC into a server.  I think I'll do some more research on this.
              I wouldn't go down this route, to be honest. By right you'd want another PC that you're not using full time to use it as a server. It would have to turned on and connected to the Internet 24/7, and you'd also want a good (and fast) Internet connection, as well as the ability to troubleshoot problems quickly and efficiently if and when they happen. Many people have done it, but it is difficult.

Hi KPac

I do not know very much about computer, so am finding all the information given to me here very good.  When you said "Or else just install XAMPP or WAMP".  What are these? and how do you get them?

Thanks.
              XAMPP and WAMP are testing servers. If you create Webpages, it's good to test them out before you upload them and everyone sees them. These programs will simulate a Web server on your own PC.