Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DSl is great!  (Read 2401 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

DSl is great!
    « on: July 13, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
    After ten years of dial up I have gotten DSL. It is great. I just down loaded Vista SP2 in about 2 hours. On dial up it was going to take two days. The wife and I can both be on the net and still get phone calls. We got it through Embarq over  the phone line. No cable out here. It works great. I just had to tell some one how good it is. You all have a nice day.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: DSl is great!
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
    LOL.  Yes, I know you're in online heaven now. :D Many of us remember the days of dialup and also experienced the joy of that vast improvement in Internet connection speed when we switched to cable or DSL.  And, being able to be on the net and still get phone calls, how sweet it is compared to the restrictiveness of dialup.

I also have Embarq.  They offer different levels of speed, at different prices. What speed are you paying for?

No cable out here. It works great.
    Sounds like you're in a rural area.  The phone companies seem to be slowly opening up more outlying areas to DSL subscribers.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
      They tell me it is 1.5 MBS. What ever it is it's fast. Yes I live out in the country. I get my phone, Dish TV and the net for around $130.00 a month. I was paying about $70.00 a month just for the phone. So I didn't think it was to bad a deal.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
        Just be lucky you can even get broadband in a rural area.

Many rural areas in the Midwest region of the USA can't even get DSL or cable!  I used to live in such an area, and my best Internet connection option was a cellular modem from Sprint.
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.