Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 won't run  (Read 6286 times)

carter2

Windows 98 won't run
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »
Unable to get Windows 98 to run. Everything was fine until I shut down, normally, and the machine tried to restart. Now, I  get "cannot find device files MpFireWl.VxD and MpfBocks.VxD" messages upon boot-up. I have no idea what these are. By pushing "any key to continue", I get to the windows log-in box (no password normally required; however, I normally get the network log-in window before the Windows log-in, but don't get it now), click cancel as I usually do, but then get a windows explorer error message and a "performed illegal operation, system must close" message.

I've reloaded Windows and upon first boot up after reload get system file errors related to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL; C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\joy.cpl; C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL; C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mcicda.drv; and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL

After clicking OK, I get to the same windows log-in window and the same Windows Explorer error message.

I've tried starting in safe mode and the same results occur.

Appreciate any help, suggestons, ideas. Thanks.

Raptor

Re: Windows 98 won't run
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:52:14 AM »
Can you boot into safe mode?'

cannot find device files MpFireWl.VxD and MpfBocks.VxD

VxD stands for Virtual Device Driver. It is related to hardware drivers and these errors often seem to occur in Windows 98 when drivers or hardware have not been properly removed and/or installed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 04:53:33 AM by Raptor »

carter2

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 05:30:01 AM »
The same sequence of events occurs if I try booting in safe mode.

I have not tried to install or remove hardware.

I am able to start the machine using a different Win 98 OS on a different drive, which alows me access to the drive that I normally boot on and, thus, the OS that is giving me problems. Any suggestions on how to attack the problem from this direction?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 05:42:33 AM »
What I would try is to replace the corrupt/missing files with the ones from the proper Windows 98 installation.

However, there is no quarantee that this will work, because the files (Especially the .drv and .DvX) may be installation specific. But considering the fact that you have both operating systems on the same type of the machine, they may be identical?

carter2

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:21:13 AM »
I've tried reloading windows on the problem drive - see results noted in original post.

The two win 98 installations on this machine are not the same, and I would like to continue to run the system on the first (now problematic) version.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 06:45:02 AM »
I am able to start the machine using a different Win 98 OS on a different drive, which alows me access to the drive that I normally boot on and, thus, the OS that is giving me problems. Any suggestions on how to attack the problem from this direction?

From the quoted text above I assumed you had two Hard Disk Drives in the same computer.

Question:

Is formatting your Hard Disk Drive and reinstalling Windows 98 an option?

carter2

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 07:17:46 AM »
I do have two hard disk drives on the computer. 1 40gb and 1 2gb. The machine is now running on the smaller.

I could reformat the original main drive, but only if I can save everything on it (except windows), which I haven't yet been able to figure out how to do. Suggestions?

I also have a copy of XP that I could install...

Raptor

Re: Windows 98 won't ru
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 07:25:29 AM »
I could reformat the original main drive, but only if I can save everything on it (except windows), which I haven't yet been able to figure out how to do. Suggestions?

Suggestion:

1. Organize all files you wish to keep
-- Preferably in one folder
2. Remove all files that you do not wish to keep
-- Be certain to remove hidden files as well
3. Reinstall Windows 98.
-- Install Windows XP if your system specifications allow it.

This does not reach the same result as reformating your Hard Disk Drive would, but it will give you a better chance to create back-ups of your [important] files and then follow my suggestion below:

Suggestion:

You would do wise as to create seperate partition for only your Operating System. That way, should problems arise, you only need to reformat the OS partition and you have no chance of loosing (important) files.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 07:26:35 AM by Raptor »

carter2

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 07:31:32 AM »
Other than how the files are organized, how does moving the files I want to keep into one file and then reinstalling windows differ from what I've done already?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »
Other than how the files are organized, how does moving the files I want to keep into one file and then reinstalling windows differ from what I've done already?

You claimed to have reloaded Windows 98. From this I assumed that you had overwritten the original installation of Windows 98 without first removing [hidden] system files. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 07:36:16 AM by Raptor »

carter2

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 08:40:04 AM »
correct. how do i remove hidden system files, and which system files would i need to remove?

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 09:08:47 AM »

1, how do i remove hidden system files.
2.which system files would i need to remove?

1. You have to set Windows 98 to display hidden files.
-- See this article for instructions on how to do so.

2. Assuming that you have now sorted all files you want to keep and placed them inside one folder, it is safe to remove all other files stored on the 40GB Hard Disk Drive.
-- By removing all (hidden) files you will make certain that when you reinstall Windows 98, it will not (attempt) to make use of obsolete files.

carter2

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 11:08:03 AM »

Which article?

2. I really want to save everything except the win 98 OS on that drive. Will it allow me to do so, and then install a new win 98 (or XP)?

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 11:43:55 AM »

Which article?

2. I really want to save everything except the win 98 OS on that drive. Will it allow me to do so, and then install a new win 98 (or XP)?

1. this  is a clickable hyperlink.

2. Then you will have to remove the system files and everything that is not related to what you wish to keep on your Hard Disk Drive. Once you have done so, install either Windows 98 or Windows XP. However, I strongly recommend that you reformat the Hard Disk Drive after having made back-ups and do as I suggested in a previous post.