Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: red x's instead of pictures  (Read 12074 times)

cher0427

red x's instead of pictures
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:09:46 AM »
don't know if it's virus related or not-many sites, including this one are showing all small boxes with red x's...instead of ???  probably pictures...running Windows 98 and updated Norton virus program...can't sort out if this is a virus or software/hardware related-any ideas?
thanks!

merlin

Re: red x's instead of pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 01:28:02 PM »
this is not a virus the red x boxes mean you have not got java enable what ie are you using and have you tried tools/internet/options/advanced tab ---restore defaults--click button or if does not do the trick look in security --custom level---scroll down the list and see if the java enable box is ticked..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 01:28:20 PM by merlin »

mark_c

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 04:58:54 PM »
Red X's where a pic should be indicate thyat fro some reason the pic is not coming through.  It may be Java as mentioned or maybe you've got images turned off in advanced options. Cheers

cher

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 07:26:53 AM »
 :)  thanks, it worked to go into tools, and change to enable java scripting...for some odd reason several settings like this got undone...it's been years since I set those options-really appreciated the help!

VoidAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 06:17:13 PM »
Hey, I've got Java, and It's enabled in my settings.  But occasionally I get the undisplayed images.  I've had them show up alonside normal images on the same page.  Can that be caused by the images being in an outdated format?  I'm using Windows 98 SE.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 06:18:38 PM by VoidAngel »

gliss

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 10:09:12 PM »
VoidAngel:  I have had that problem too...and the strangest thing is that it comes and goes.  One time I'll access a page without issues and the next time I have the red X's.  I haven't changed any settings or anything.
I am using Internet explorer 6.0 and windows xp pro.  My ISP is sbcglobal.net

merlin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
The trouble is the now m$oft do not support java anymore>http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/38206/38206.html  and if this is removed it will help people with  their home page being hi-jacked and also help viruses being download to peoples pcs...

PCgeek8080

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 01:50:33 PM »
Hey, maybe it's just that the pictures can't be displayed!

If the java applets dont show up, then u get this small box with shapes in the upper left hand corner

Bex

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 03:49:12 PM »
Hey, im having a problem with the red X's but on games such as jippii and yahoo. ive tried re- installing internet explorer and doing the tools, Interent, options, advanced tab thing that Merlin suggested but it still doesnt work. can someone help?  ??? ive got Xp

merlin_2

2k dummy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 12:00:26 PM »
SP2? It changes IE settings to NOT automatically load images. Change it back.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 04:06:55 PM »
    2k dummy.......I just checked all my ie settings after getting SP2 and all were as I had previously set them.

cheers
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.