Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win xp system restore  (Read 4270 times)

jayson

win xp system restore
« on: May 25, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »
Do win xp has a program equivalent to win98's scanreg for system restoration?  I just want to back my system on its good state.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: win xp system restore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:37:13 PM »
Not clear on what you mean... Windows XP System Restore can go back just as far as 98... To adjust how much memory System restore takes up, right-click on My Computer, and click on properties... Next, click on the System Restore tab... You will now see a sliding bar... Set that to the maximum to go back as far as possible.. Also, yes, System Restore does make its own points when new software is installed.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

jayson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 12:22:51 AM »
my pc doesnt display the desktop after boot. When I logon it stops on that. But all the processes are working on the background. I used that pc as my internet server in my home. I dont want to reformat and install all my programs all over again.

Is there any way that I can do to back my pc on its good condition cause the repair on xp didnt work.  I dont know how the repair on xp should be done. is says enter the windows intallation than I picked up 1, then I asked for the administrator password and I supplied it. But it display c:\windows. I guess its done and the repair didnt run.  ???

Can you tell me how to use that repair?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 05:58:07 AM »
Refer to the following articles:
Microsoft Windows XP - Using Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP - Installing and Using Recovery Console
Recovery Console

Question:

1. Have you used the last known good configuration on boot?
-- You can choose the last known good configuration by following these steps:

1. Before Windows loads press F8.
2. Select 'Last known good configuration'
3. Press Enter
-- Windows should boot normally.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 05:59:00 AM by Raptor »

Paul Hen

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 08:49:03 PM »
be careful when using last known good configuration in Win XP as to the best of my knowledge it purges your system restore points. When I have used it in the past and got back into windows successfully, I found that even then setting a new restore point did not help on a reboot. Maybe someone can confirm the case?

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 09:06:03 AM »
what is the make of this pc........do you have a problem?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 09:06:48 AM »
I disable system restore alltogether and choosing last known good configuration works properly none the less.

If it has removed your system restore points, it most likely did so because they were not included with the last known good configuration.