Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is "Burn a CD"?  (Read 2449 times)

Myron

What is "Burn a CD"?
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
I am planning to purchase a laptop. I understand that not all laptops can "Burn CDs". What exactly does this mean? Does it mean there is no CD/DVD slot on the side in which to place CDs/DVDs? What exactly gets "burned onto the CDs"?  When I download photos from my camera into the laptop, are they stored in the HD or onto the CD? It is confusing.  Also, if I desire to add memory to a laptop, is there a way to connect an external HD at a later date?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What is "Burn a CD"?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
First, let's get a few terms straight here, to avoid further confusion :)

a PC/laptop has, (basically) two kinds of "memory", first is the RAM. For example, my machine has 1GB of RAM installed. the other is Disk space, which allows you to save things, and load them later. For example, you save word documents to disk- windows is installed on the disk, etc.

With Optical Drives (CD/DVD drives) there are drives that can read, but not write, to the disks, (DVD-ROM and CD-ROM) and there are drives that can read/write, but not "overwrite" (that is, erase the data already there) drives, these are called DVD-R and CD-R drives, and there are disks called CD-R and DVD+R and -R that cannot be rewritten.

However, most Optical drives today are CD-RW DVD-RW drives, which can read CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs, write to CD-R and DVD-R/+R discs, and read,write, and erase the contents of CD-RW and DVD-RW media. CD-R and DVD-R mean "recordable" and the RW means "rewritable".

When you copy photos from your camera, they are stored on your hard disk. If you want them on a Disc, you will need to "burn" a CD/DVD containing them. (it's called burning because the drive laser literally "burns" markings into the disc, by heating the surface up to around 250°–300°C). Then you can give the discs to your friends or relatives, or store them in a safe place for backup.

Adding memory to a laptop is relatively straightforward; however be sure to find out how much RAM it has compared to how much it can have. As a example, my laptop which I bought relatively recently came equipped with 4GB of RAM. However, this is the maximum amount it supports, so I cannot upgrade past this amount. Other laptops can hold more, and/or come with less RAM, and you can often add memory later on.

In most recent laptops you can add memory pretty easily, it's usually detailed in the instruction manual. In general it means unscrewing one or two screws on the bottom of the laptop and opening a "door" too the RAM slots. Then you plop in the new memory and close it up.

You can also upgrade the disk capacity from what is included; most laptops use fairly standard HDs and you can replace them with higher capacity drives. You can also, as you said, get an external Hard disk and store your data that way.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:25:21 AM »
I am planning to purchase a laptop. I understand that not all laptops can "Burn CDs".
I'm curious about where you've seen a new laptop that does not have a CD or DVD burner.  Practically all new laptops, even at the  low-end of the price spectrum, have a CD/DVD drive with burning, i.e. recording, capability.

What exactly gets "burned onto the CDs"?  When I download photos from my camera into the laptop, are they stored in the HD or onto the CD? It is confusing. 
You choose what gets burned onto CDs, via whatever software you use for this purpose.  When you initially download photos to your computer, they get saved to your hard drive.  If you want to burn, i.e. record, them to a CD or DVD, you need to do that as a seperate procedure.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »
If it can burn CDs - You can make your own CDs in it. Some will also let you make DVDs.

I don't see why some laptops you are looking at can't - Almost all modern laptops can.

Cameron Gray

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
I have yet to find a NEW laptop that will not allow for the writing of information to either CD or DVD formats.

If you post the make and model in question we can help you find the information to answer your questions.
Evil is an exact science.