Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card  (Read 2385 times)

mistered

Topic Starter

Graphics card
    « on: July 29, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
    I have a Compaq Presario 5010us which has been dual booted with Windows XP and Vista.
    The screen resolution on the XP is fine with a nice clear picture of the desktop and icons.
    The resolution on the Vista is terrible where even programs do not open completely and everything is distorted.
    I know I need a new video card and I have purchased an ATI S 120 Stealth Radeon graphics accelerator card.

My question: Is this the right card for this computer. I see a brown bus but I do not see a retaining clip. Can the card be used by inserting it into the bus slot without a retaining clip in the computer?

Do I need to disable the driver for the old integrated video or what?

Thanks for your help.

mistered

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »
    Do you see something that looks like the slot that is highlighted with a red box in the below image (the said slot, as the label indicates on image, is called AGP slot)?

If so, then you have a usable grahics card, as I see that the card you bought is for an AGP slot.

I have never heard of a retaining clip. I have only simply plugged new card into slot while keeping in mind to properly align card with slot hole and it worked fine.

Driver of old integrated video should be automatically disabled usually, but you might have to disable the old drivers if computer/OS does not do it for you automatically.

Let us know how it goes.  :)

2x3i5x
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:03:57 PM by 2x3i5x »

mistered

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
      Thanks for the information. The computer is in a classroom where I volunteer so I will not be able to put the card in until for a few days. You have put my mind at ease so that I can proceed with the install. Thanks mistered

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:04:17 PM »
      you are very welcome mistered  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
      most AGP slots had a retaining clip on the end; but if they don't you can still place a card with the extension that would normally clip into it.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
      Well, at least for the computers I've used in the past that had AGP card slot, I simply plugged and play and it worked, no clip whatsoever.

But as long as you have a card for the right type of slot, regardless of whether there's a retaining clip, I think just plug and play would still be ok without extra accessories  :)