Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP sp2 does not run DOS based programs  (Read 7782 times)

African

Windows XP sp2 does not run DOS based programs
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:41:11 AM »
I had to revert to an old scanner while my scanner is being repaired, so I loaded a Windows 2000 driver in a compatability mode as I did before for this scanner that does not have an XP driver. Soon after, I could not run the cmd.exe file and got a message  "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. choose 'close' to terminate the application."
It appears as if my computer thinks it is running windows NT. I removed the scanner driver and related software. No change. I ran system restore four times at various points and failed to restore. otherwise all programs run fine except one that gives me the same message as if it is a DOS based program, yet it is not. Any ideas on how to fix this one?

gussery

Re: Windows XP sp2 does not run DOS based programs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 04:17:42 AM »
From the command prompt type....

copy c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt c:\windows\system32\

African

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:26:00 AM »
thank you Gary...but the issue is how do I get my command prompt back...can not load cmd.exe or go to DOS mode..

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:08:24 AM »
If you can't use the cmd box use the GUI and do the copy with Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

African

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 01:08:41 PM »
Thanks Gary. It worked. The program now runs and I can start DOS mode if I go to the programs accessories dos prompt, but if I go to start, run,  cmd.exe I get a blank screen that quickly disapears, with no other action. If there is a solution, fine, otherwise I can live without it. much appreciated.