Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox suggests words  (Read 2137 times)

whoseit222

Topic Starter

Rookie

Firefox suggests words
    « on: July 29, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »
    I've noticed recently on firefox that whenever i start typing something into a box (for example my name or phone number) it must have stored it from before because it suggests the rest of the word. I do not like this and would like to know how to disable it.

Thanks!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Firefox suggests words
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
    Go to Tools > Clear Private Data > choose Saved Form and Search History > click Clear Private Data Now.

whoseit222

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:45 PM »
      Thanks...but wont it still rememebr it next time i put in my information?

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
      Go to Tools > Clear Private Data > choose Saved Form and Search History > click Clear Private Data Now.

To have the feature disabled permanently, there are two ways to fix it as far as I know

1. Tools>Options>Privacy> look into the clear history when firefox closes options (this will do same function as what Kpac mentioned but it will always do it when you close firefox so upon restart of firefox, nothing is remembered)

2. Tools>Options>Privacy, make sure Remember Search and forms history is unticked, also in same box, at very end, "When using the location bar", select none in the drop down box and location /address bar will not suggest anything from history or bookmarks.

Also, above instructions assume you are using firefox 3.5 (the latest version) and so firefox won't remember anything. And option 2 is bit better because if you don't close firefox somebody can still see the suggested/remembered things until firefox has been closed.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:45:53 PM by 2x3i5x »

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
      In Firefox 3....
      Go to Tools > Options > Privicy. Uncheck "Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar".

whoseit222

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »
        It works - as in it doesnt suggest the rest of the word but now i cant stay logged in to yahoo or computer hope even when i click the button "remember me" is there a way for me to keep this but not have firefox suggest the rest of the word (I have 3.5)

Thanks

2x3i5x

Expert
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »
        Ok, check your cookies (the things that store those login information so that you can get automatically logged in on the websites like yahoo, computerhope or other similar sites you wish). Probably they're either not being saved by firefox or they're getting deleted every time you exit firefox.

To fix in firefox 3.5... do this ...

Tools>Options>Privacy, make sure to put a checkmark next to "Accept Cookies for Sites", make sure to checkmark "Accept Third Party Cookies", make sure it says "Keep until they expire" and then if you have "Clear History when firefox closes", click on settings and make sure cookies are unchecked so that firefox won't delete the cookies on default when you close.