Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of Connection  (Read 13468 times)

hot dog

Re: Loss of Connection
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
Go over to one of your other good computers, open a command prompt and type: IPCONFIG   and tell me what the stats are...

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
    IP Address: 192.168.0.194
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

hot dog

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »
    OK, now on your bad computer click START>control panel>network connections

highlight the TCP/IP setting and click on properties..

Click on the bubble that says: Use the following IP address

Use these stats:

IP Address:  192.168.0.100

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Next to where is says, "Preferred DNS server" type: 192.168.0.1

when you are done click OK and see if you can connect to the Internet with a browser

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »
      No luck  :(

hot dog

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
      Are you able to ping the default gateway at this point?

ping 192.168.0.1

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »
        No it times out.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
          I've been meaning to reformat and reinstall Windows onto my newer of two hard drives.  Do you think having a fresh install of Windows might help?  I want to do this anyway so it's not solely for the purpose of solving this issue.

hot dog

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
          Sure I don't see what it would hurt...

Maybe something in the registry got corrupted...  :P

If that does you no good, look for a NIC that installs into one of your PCI/express slots, because the only other thing I can think of is that your NIC went bad...

We gave you a valid IP address manually... We tested the TCP/IP software...We know the cable is good....we know the router is good and we even reset the router...
          The only thing left in between all that is the port on your NIC...... This isn't an expert opinion but you may have jarred the port when you kicked the power cable or caused some other type of damage.....If you had a loopback plug you could test the port and know without doubt that the port went bad, but with what we know about your system, the only thing I can think of is that the port on your nic went bad...

Have you considered a system restore.......   ?
          If that or reinstalling doesn't work, go an google for a new NIC that will fit into one of your PCI/express slots....    go for the highest throughput card possible   :)

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »
            Tried the release/renew thing and it is unable to renew the IP because it couldnt contact the DHCP server and it timed out.

OK, the higher level functions will not operate if the network is not working at a lower level. You do not know if the lower level is working until you do those things I posted a day or so ago.

For example, what do those lights report both on computer and router?  Do you even see the NIC listed in the Device Manager?  What was listed in the system (event) logs?

Reloading an OS is a worst thing you could do for too many reasons to list including the long periods of reloading all the updates and better drivers for everything else.  Reloading an OS is the worst example of fixing something without first identifying the problem.  It typically creates numerous other problems.  However, if you are more interested in learning than in fixing the computer, well, I could think of few other actions that will force more  learning.

Even better than a 'nuke n pave' is Mulreay's  'remove and reload the driver' suggestion.

BTW, your problem is exactly why we buy better computers that come with the manufacturer’s comprehensive diagnostics.  See all those previous posts?  About half of them would be unnecessary why simply executing a comprehensive hardware diagnostic that only the better computer manufacturer’s provide.

I don’t see where anything says your network is working at the lowest level.  Working at the second level was supposed to confirm lowest level protocols are working.  If not, then your second level frustrations are explained.  Very first step – what do lights report at both ends of the cable?  Does Device Manager even see the NIC?  Maybe locate a hardware diagnostic for your NIC that comes from the NIC manufacturer (even some chip manufacturers provide that diagnostics).

Currently I see nothing that says your NIC is working even at the lowest level.  Only after we know that, then we can move on to why the NIC has failed.  But if you ‘nuke n pave’ then nothing useful is learned.  And you have reloading the hard drive using hardware (motherboard) that has at least one (and maybe more) defects.  IOW only made the problem exponentially more complex.  OS did not go bad.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
              Yea Westom, the lights on the router appear as they should.  As for the rest of your suggestions, you're going to have to explain to me what I need to do more simply because I dont understand what you're saying I should do.  Thanks though and thank you blockHead for everything.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
                Yea Westom, the lights on the router appear as they should.  As for the rest of your suggestions, you're going to have to explain to me what I need to do ...
                  When you disconnect the cable, then the light extinguishes?  When you reconnect the cable, that light returns? That is for lights at both cable ends.  One typically exists adjacent to where an ethernet cable connects to computer to solve problems such as yours.

Device Manage and system (event) logs are Windows obtained from many locations including Control Panel or by using Windows HELP (press start then click on Help).  Every hardware device the computer sees is in Device Manger.  Any device that is defective is marked accordingly.  System logs list all problems a computer has seen so that you (or the tech) can address those problems days or weeks later.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
                  The light on te router extinguishes as it should but there is no light at the connection where the cable plugs into the computer.  I don't thin there ever was a light there though.

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »
                  Have you tried just unplugging everything and letting it reset?

Unplug the modem and router, turn off the pc's.
                  After about a minute plug the modem back in, then after the lights are lit on the modem plug in the router.
                  Then turn your computers back on.

It's common for a channel to lock up, that wouldn't necessarily affect the other computers.
                  Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »
                  Have you tried just unplugging everything and letting it reset?

I had him do that a while back  :)

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
                    After all it looks like the NIC on the motherboard is dead.  I'm going to be buying a new network card to solve the problem.  Thanks to everyone that replied here - I appreciate it!