Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software Engineer  (Read 3761 times)

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Software Engineer
    « on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »
    I am considering to study Software Engineering, but firstly I want to know what role mathematics plays in Software Engineering. I just finished my student exam (the closest American equivalent is probably a college education) and I had fairly high grades and enough to study Software Engineering in a university. But mathematics was never my strong side (I only had average grades in math), infact my strong sides were mainly languages, history and biology - yet my interests are in computers and software and Software Engineering pays well.
     So is Software Engineering only about difficult math or are there more creative aspects too?

Mulreay

Re: Software Engineer
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »
    Where are you from? I'm English. Would be a little easier if we new the courses available to you.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »
    The schools at which you may consider applying should be able to tell you the math requirements of their programs.  For example, I know someone here in the US who was considering the Cisco Certified Network Andministrator course work.  Algebra was part of the cirriculum.  I can't remember if calculus was expected, or was an elective.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
    From his post he's not American. Hence my post.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
    Right.  I gave an example, which I know you understand.  That's why I referred him to the schools in which he is interested in attending.  I suspect different schools have different elements in their respective programs.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »
    Right.  I gave an example, which I know you understand.  That's why I referred him to the schools in which he is interested in attending.  I suspect different schools have different elements in their respective programs.

Yeah my bad.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »
    No, no, M -- wasn't getting on you about it.  I know the original poster is looking for some general guidlines based on experience of software people on the forum, but I'm thinking, gently, "why is he asking us?  Go see what your schools require!"

If he has enough math in his background, he may be able to take placement tests which will get him credit for the math, too.

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
      I'm Faroese. I am considering going to a Danish university, but I could also go to a British university. I have the required education in Math (A level in math) to enter the universities, but I just feel that I might end up studying stuff that my mathematical mind cannot grasp  :-\
       The reason behind asking you here at computer hope, is because I thought some of you might actually be Software Engineers or something similar.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
      Yes, and you may well get input from engineers on this site, so it's not like you're incorrect in asking, here -- I just thought the schools at which you might apply could tell you the math courses needed.

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 12:34:34 PM »
        I do have the math courses needed, that is A level math. But my grades in A level math were just average, I am just thinking that maybe you need to be particularly good at math?

Mulreay

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »
        I do have the math courses needed, that is A level math. But my grades in A level math were just average, I am just thinking that maybe you need to be particularly good at math?

What grade did you get in your A-level? A-B-C-D etc? I got a B years ago and it never stopped me.

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
          We don't use the same system here, but I believe my math grade would count as a C.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »
          Do you understand math?

If there is an understanding of it, I don't see an issue.
          Evil is an exact science.