Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: routers vs gateways  (Read 2114 times)

hot dog

routers vs gateways
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:33:58 AM »
Just a quick question...  I've read the difference between routers and gateways several times and still trying to distinguish the two. 

If I have multiple networks at home, for example, can I connect those networks using gateways or would there have to be something more intelligent with routing tables to forward all the packets?

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: routers vs gateways
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
You could do either.  It depends on what you want the outcome to be.
Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:43:52 PM »
In the simplest terms, the difference between a router and gateway, as far as I can tell, is that a gateway translates incoming data into protocol that is understood by the receiving network, and a router simply routes data to the receiving networks according to routing tables..

So if all a gateway does is translate protocols (unless I'm missing something), how would it know how to send data to the right network? 

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
Are you having a problem or just looking for information?

There isn't anything wrong with looking for information, I just don't want to waste your time with troubleshooting if you don't need it.
Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
I'm just looking for info..   ;)

If I could see an example of how gateways are used to connect multiple networks it might help me understand better how they are used..

I use an AT&T 2wire gateway at home to connect to the internet.......It connects to my ISP using an RJ 11 port...    It has four ports for LAN connections....  Instead of connecting computers to those connections, could I connect four more gateways and have four more networks..Would I be able to assign separate Network IDs to those four gateways, or would I need to use routers instead?