Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootup Problems  (Read 3871 times)

Ghorm

Bootup Problems
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »
Friend of mine gave me his comp to fix..and im completely stumped. He bought a new DVD Burner, on top of his old, then proceeded to install it, and when he fired it up, the computer "FIRED UP". He smelt smoke, and it shut off. Well Now ive tried messing with it, took the heatsink off and the processor wasnt even locked down, and stuck to the heatsink. I fixed that bit. I checked all the wiring and everything, and I can boot up the comp, the problem is, theres no signal to the monitor. The computer stays on, and everything, just no signal.... Any Ideas? Im stumped  :-/

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Bootup Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 08:04:44 PM »
Check the video card.... There was probably some damagae done to not only the card, but to other system components as well... Also check the motherboard... The components for other devices might have gotten shot out... Keep a fire extinguisher nearby...  :o

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 08:05:35 PM »
Forgot to ask earlier... Where was the smoke coming from? The monitor, or the desktop tower itself?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 11:38:27 PM »
Hey something funny happen to me like that too! My computer (which still works) I can't read the dang small words that plug  in the cable. I must of plug something wrong. THere was a small fire and then it shut off. I then took a magnifying glass and match it up. Also if you have one of those little swithches that come from the power supply that looks like it plugs in the motherboard don't almost causght my Pc on fire again but the wire cable almost completley melted eesh. well good luck. Maybe you just wired it wrong like I did  ;D

Ghorm

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 01:21:48 PM »
I tested the video card and power supply on my own computer, and they work fine.  :-/ Must be the M-Board? Would it even start up if the processor / motherboard were shot? Thanks for the replies, im checking constantly, so lemme know what your thoughts are.

ghorm

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »
Oh and the smoke was coming from the tower apparently. Thanks again.

SadistikaL

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
    it seems if the video card is good try reinstalling the unhooking it from the motherboard reinstall it then reboot and see if it tries to pickup new drivers. if the video card aint the issue check your memory (RAM) sticks cause you might have burnt them out. just a theory.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
    Umm, I hate to break this to you, this post is over four years old.
    Evil is an exact science.