Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 95 on Fast Computers  (Read 6061 times)

oldnotbold

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows 95 on Fast Computers
    « on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »
    Perhaps there are one or two people who, like me, have a need to run an application that only works under Windows 95, for whatever reason. Computer Hope has a link to Microsoft's solution to this:

http://www.computerhope.com/download/window95.htm#00

Unfortunately, this fix only works with the OEM version of Windows 95, not the retail version.

One solution is to install a later operating system, then install Virtual PC, and then install Windows 95 under that. This seems to eliminate the problem.

There can still be compatibility issues with some applications, but it solved the problem for one program I use that only works properly under Windows 95.

More details are posted here:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,49400.msg742500.html#msg742500

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 95 on Fast Computers
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
    One solution is to install a later operating system, then install Virtual PC, and then install Windows 95 under that. This seems to eliminate the problem.
    Of course you can install any number of other Virtual Machine programs instead- VMWare is my personal favourite. As a side note I cannot think of any programs, aside from a few esoteric DOS applications, that will run under windows 95 but won't (for whatever reason) under 98SE, or even 2000.

Main reason I prefer VMWare is because it's not limited to a tiny subset of Operating Systems- Virtual PC has pretty much been "machined" by MS to only work well for a few Windows versions. Works fine when you need one of those windows versions (I don't know if 95 is one of them, but I think it is) but if you want a more generic type of virtual Machine a good bet might be VMWare player . (I don't know how it differs from workstation, though).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Re: Windows 95 on Fast Computers
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
    a good bet might be VMWare player . (I don't know how it differs from workstation, though).

Less than formerly... VMware Player is a stripped-down version of Workstation, so it offers the same virtual hardware as Workstation. In the latest version it can both create and edit virtual machines while it earlier was only possible to run pre-built VMs. VMware Workstation usually gets the new virtual hardware releases first and supports the widest guest OS range. You are supposed to pay for Workstation, whereas Player is free.