Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OpenSSl will not update  (Read 3522 times)

MikeJ

Topic Starter

OpenSSl will not update
    « on: August 13, 2009, 06:20:56 AM »
    Greetings,

My first post on Comp Hope.  I am a Linux newb!

I am attempting to update openssl 0.9.7a to 0.9.8k.  I have un-tared the contents of 0.9.8k into the /opt/OpennSSL folder and seem to successfully execute:

./config
    make
    make test (end of this string indicates install directory is /usr/local/ssl)
    make install

Yet after all of the supposed successful install scripts run I still get 'openssl version' 0.9.7a.  I have gone to the /usr/local/ssl directory and see only 0.9.7a stuff.

Two questions:

1. Why is the default install not updating?

2. Where the heck is 0.9.8k installing to?

Appreciate any help you can give.

MikeJ

Topic Starter

Re: OpenSSl will not update
      « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:26:16 AM »
      Ok..I get by with a little help from my friends.  Fixed issue so I'll post for future use.

Downloading openssl-0.9.8k.tar.tar to the /opt folder should create an OpenSSL directory but it may not.  In my case it created an OpenSSL file.  I had to manually create the OpenSSL directory, remove the OpenSSL file, and copy the openssl-0.9.8k.tar.tar into the newly created OpennSSL directory.  Once there I un-tared it which created the openssl-0.9.8k directory and from there re-attempted the install which was successful.

Hope this helps anyone who may have issue in the future

Thanks