Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "no input signal" error  (Read 2585 times)

snowtreds

Topic Starter

"no input signal" error
    « on: August 14, 2009, 11:17:59 AM »
    Occasionally my monitor will go to a screen saver, where the screen goes black you know? except that when I return, it does not reshow windows, instead giving a "no input signal error". When I restart the computer, it is usually fine, although sometimes when I restart, and when I just start my computer up from shutting it down, I get this error. Like I said, with a restart everything is back to normal, but it sure is annoying. My computer just started this problem after I installed a new sound card and upgraded my memory. I uninstalled the sound card and opted for on-board sound, but this still happens. I have moved and unfortunately don't have my old memory anymore to test it with....could this be the issue or might it be a motherboard going bad or an issue with the power supply?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "no input signal" error
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »
    I would remove all power and re-seat the video card...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »
    Sounds like the video card not 'refreshing' out of standby State 1.

As patio stated, reseat the video card after shutting down and turn the power off at the wall, but keep the cord in to keep the grounded connection.

Unless this is a onboard card, then it is more than likely a driver issue

snowtreds

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
      Thanks.....that seemed to work for as it not coming up during the restart part....but i was still having trouble with the screen saver thing... i turned off sleep mode for now and has it hasn't frozen up like again. However, I was just playing a flash game today and the whole computer shut off randomly....first time that's ever happened.... I gave it a sec and it booted back up.... but i dunno.... could it be an overheating problem?? I am working in a room w/o ac...:/

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
      If this is a desktop system then disable all of your powersaving features.
      Evil is an exact science.