Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound does not work in XP but does in Linux  (Read 1833 times)

XPCalamity

Topic Starter

Sound does not work in XP but does in Linux
    « on: August 26, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
    I recently decided to re-image my computer with Ubuntu 9.04; then realized that 99% of the required school software was a pain to install under Linux.  Anyway, I re-imaged again with a legitimate copy (provided by my high school) of Windows XP sp2.  After installing the appropriate drivers, I noticed that I had no sound.  I rebooted and was greeted by the hopeful "Found New Hardware Wizard" that clearly wanted me to install software for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus."  I clicked through the wizard (screenshots included), and found the operation to be unsuccessful.  I have tried looking for the drivers but for the life of me I cannot find anything remotely relevant.

I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad T60P 8741-AD5, and I installed Windows XP sp2 on an NTFS Partition. The specs, directly from the Lenovo website, are as follows:

Based on 8741-C5U: T7200(2GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 7200rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 256MB ATI FireGL V5250, CDRW/DVDRW, 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 9c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

Any help at all would be great.  My friend and I did the exact same thing with our computers (same model, even) and both have the exact same problem.  Thanks in advance for any pointers towards restoring my sound!

[attachment deleted by admin]

leekaiwei

Greenhorn

Re: Sound does not work in XP but does in Linux
      « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
      have you tried lenovo's site. i did a search for your comp and there seems to be an audio driver. have u tried that?

XPCalamity

Topic Starter

Re: Sound does not work in XP but does in Linux
        « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »
        I had looked a hundred times before, but I guess I did not look hard enough.  After installing the driver and restarting my computer, my sound works once again.

Issue resolved: User was being an unobservant idiot. XD

Thank you for the help ^_^