Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Single Rail vs. 4 Rail?  (Read 2741 times)

JediBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Single Rail vs. 4 Rail?
    « on: August 28, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
    Power Supply question.....

I'm upgrading my systems' power supply and video card (to a GTX 260) and I've noticed the specs for a power supply being either single rail or 4 (or multiple) rail.
    I'm not looking to go SLI with additional video cards...I'm just going to run one.

Would either spec benefit me over the other if I were to choose a power supply with single or multiple rail?...or does it make any difference?

Thanks.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Single Rail vs. 4 Rail?
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
    I bought a Corsair TX850w with single rail design for my build mainly because a single rail supplys current with all current available to whatever components demand it. With a multi rail design, it splits the total current up between components = less total current on any given rail. If components on one rail have a hi demand, there is less total current available to those components, regardless of components on other rails having a low demand.

That's all just my opinion of course. I'm sure someone else can come up with reasons why multi rails are better.
     :)

BTW, I run a GTX 260

JediBob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »
      That's what I needed to know.

Thanks

WSR

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:48:21 AM »
        I always thought multi-rails had the feature of if one rail fails, then the other components on the other rails that haven't failed still receive power.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of multi-rails from my Antec TP 550.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:15:26 AM »
        I wouldn't worry about multiple rails vs. single rails, it's mostly marketing material.
        Obviously, there is a difference, but in my opinion it's not something to worry about.
        Instead, pick a high quality PSU from a reputable manufacturer that has picked up good reviews from trusted sources.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • My first self-built computer
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:35:18 AM »
        I always thought multi-rails had the feature of if one rail fails, then the other components on the other rails that haven't failed still receive power.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of multi-rails from my Antec TP 550.
        I guess your right but I don't see that as an advantage. If a power supply rail fails, the components on that rail fail. This alone would be cause to shut down and repair/replace the PSU. There is really no point in supplying power to the components on the other rails if your system is going to be operating partially dissabled. JMO  :)