Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Temperature  (Read 6456 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: CPU Temperature
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 05:37:11 AM »
The key points are good thermal contact between heatsink and cpu, and sufficient motion of air over the vanes of the heatsink and within the case. The heatsink does not care about the direction the air is moving, except that if it has already come from a hot place it will be able to take less heat up. Good airflow within the case is important. Verifying the temp readings e.g. by cross checking with another app, such as Speedfan is a good idea.

printerface

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 05:39:56 AM »
    so if the problem isn't in your cooling system, maybe there are problems with some parts of your computer that causes short circuiting or some sort that may cause over heating..

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:08 AM »
    We do not know the person's location or local temperature. In the tropics you need better cooling than the North Pole. Also is the case able to get air in - a carpet is a poor place to stand a PC.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
      • Yes
      • The Doctor
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
    Every cpu cooler I've installed in the past 29 years has been designed to take cool air and blow it into the cpu Heatsink.  NONE have ever sucked the hot air out of the heatsink.
    I've only seen one variation to that theme...... a PC where there is NO fan on the heatsink at all and there is a scavenging system to exhaust the hot air from the heatsink, out the back of the PC.

Intel CPU's are known to run HOT, which also means they are drawing a lot of power.   That's just one reason that I will never build a system with an Intel cpu.   Since the 386 days, I've used nothing but AMD cpu's and never have I ever had an overheating problem.

One thing that will cause those Intel cpu's to overheat is Overclocking.
    Without some kind of supercooler, overclocking an Intel cpu is just asking for trouble.

I'd check the bios to make sure that cpu is NOT being overclocked.

Also, remove the case from that computer for a while and see if that changes the cpu temperature.   If it does, that means that the air flow through the case is insufficient.

Being an old tech (45 years now) I know very well that "Heat Kills" electronics.
    Everything in my PC stays pretty much at room temperature, because I have 13 fans in my system to keep it cool. 
    My AMD 5200+ CPU is properly cooled by the stock AMD fan and heatsink.  I can reach in and lay my finger on the cpu heatsink anytime and it's only slightly warm to the touch.
    My first wife ran hotter than my cpu.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Good Luck,
    Shadow  8)

Experience is truly the best teacher.
    Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
    I've only seen one variation to that theme...... a PC where there is NO fan on the heatsink at all and there is a scavenging system to exhaust the hot air from the heatsink, out the back of the PC.

My Shuttle SFF has a heat pipe system

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
    Everything in my PC stays pretty much at room temperature, because I have 13 fans in my system to keep it cool. 

I am not doubting what you are saying here but I would like to see a pic of your system to see how you have it set up.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
      Salmon Trout, I applied the thermal paste as even as possible and thin enough.
      The BIOS reads the same value i.e. CPU=80 deg, MB=45 deg

Yes, my country is hot - 5 deg north. I'm in Malaysia. The room temperature is 28-32 deg.

No I don't put the CPU on carpet, it's on wooden computer desk.

The Shadow, the CPU is not overclocked.

I have the side cover removed at the moment and the temperature reading is same.
      « Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM by Michael »

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 05:43:55 AM »
        So....no solution? Nothing can be done?

I need practical suggestions...e.g. rather than telling me it's overheated, tell me how to cool it down, or rather than telling me I need to modify my cooling system, tell me what to do and how to do it.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »
          Not all Intel CPU's run this hot, but the p 4 was notorious for it.   I would look at a better heatsink and fan.

Something like this  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
          or this   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

Also make sure you have enough case fans to keep the air moving through.
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 07:52:45 AM »
          I still want to see pics of TheShadow's system with 13 fans in it.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!