Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Crash  (Read 7192 times)

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

System Crash
    « on: September 01, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »
    I have a situation that I could use some help and advice:

This past weekend my system basically crashed. I turned on my PC and as it was loading Windows, then it suddenly froze. The system had gotten to the point where the my desktop was displayed with all the icons, but as it was loading my startup programs down on the bottom right of the desktop screen, it froze.

I then manually turned off the computer, waited for about 10 seconds, and then turned it back on. Upon startup, I received a message that said Windows is having a problem loading and that I had some options. The options were to load Windows normally, go back to last known good configuration, start in safe mode, etc.

I have tried all these options and nothing seems to work and I am not sure what to try next, other than getting a new computer.

I should mention that I have a 4 year old HP computer, running XP. Also, I can't find my recovery disks, so reloading Windows is not an option. In an ideal world I would somehow be able to get the system up and running so I can at least get some information (documents) off of it. I believe I could contact HP and pay for recovery disks, but I think that would wipe out all my data.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what can be done here ? Thank you in advance.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: System Crash
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:47 AM »
    Borrow an XP CD, boot to it, choose the first repair option (that will take you to the Recovery Console) and run chkdsk /r - let's see if that helps. If not, we can talk about a repair install (again, with a borrowed XP CD - it's both legal and effective).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »
    Note the space between chkdsk and /r..... ;)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »
    Note the space between chkdsk and /r..... ;)
    Yeah, good morning to you too :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
    Couldn't resist... 8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
      I have arranged to get the CD's and will try the suggestion I have been given and will keep you posted.

Thank you for the help.

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »
        Well, I have a copy of an HP XP system start up CD and tried to use it to run the chkdsk /r program. I was not able to even get to the first repair option. When I tried to boot from the CD, all that appeared was a blue screen. After a few minutes, a cursor appeared, and then nothing happens.

Any thoughts or ideas  from ADG or anyone else. I am not sure what a repair install is or how to do this.

Help.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
        I don't know what an HP XP system start up CD is, but I suggested you borrow an XP CD to perform the checkdisk.

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
          Sorry about the specifics, what I have is an HP system recovery CD.

Is this the correct CD ?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
          I don't think so, no. I'd like you to borrow an actual XP CD.

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
            I am not sure what that is....is that disks that you would get when you purchase a system ?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
            In some instances, yes -  it's a retail version of XP - that you would purchase in a store. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one, just borrow an actual XP CD from a friend (or even an enemy - don't mean to get involved in your personal life ;) ). I'm just not familiar with restore disks so I'm not sure if you can get to the recovery console from one.

However, what you can do is download this Recovery Console .iso file and burn it to disc and then boot to it. It will look like a Windows Boot but it will take you to the Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
            « Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:04:10 PM by ADG »

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
              Thank you. I will give that a shot and keep you posted.

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
                OK, here's what happened. I went to the link provided and copied the file to a CD. I checked the CD to see if a file was there and it was. It is rc.iso and it's 7.35 MB. I then went to the computer with the problem and tried to boot to the drive and it took me to the screen which I was originally getting (start windows normally, go to the last good configuration, safe mode, etc.)

I have a question...maybe I'm not booting correctly...I've never done this before.

When I turn on my PC, I load the CD with the rc.iso file on it in the CD reader and then a screen comes up while the system is trying to start and one option is "Esc - to reboot" along with F1 - setup, F10 - System recovery, etc. I hit the ESC key. It then takes me to a screen where I can choose where to boot from. I chose the device which contained the CD I just burned (rc.iso file).  The system then continues and then takes me to the screen where it asks if I want to start windows normally etc.

Any thoughts ?

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »