Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Crash  (Read 7193 times)

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: System Crash
    « Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
    OK, here is what happened. I downloaded the CD burner program, loaded the rc.iso file to a CD, checked the CD to see if it worked, and it seemed to (had multiple files on the CD).

I then took the burned CD and booted to it on the bad computer. It seemed to work. When I booted to it, it asked me to choose 1 of 2 options. 1 was H:/I386 and 2 was something else. I chose 1, then it gave me a H: and seemed to be waiting for my input (this reminded me of the olden days when DOS commands were  used, which I believe is what I was doing). I then typed in chkdsk /r and it started doing the system recovery. It ran thru 3 cycles where it was checking the disk and was giving me a % updated message. After completion, it dispalyed some info like total Kilobytes available and then went back to the H: prompt.

I typed in Exit and then it tried to start Windows up again. It then gave me the same message I have been getting, which is choose to start Windows manually, go to last good configuration, etc. I tried the manual start, last good configuration, safe mode, and none of them worked. It always took me back to the message to choose a start up option for Windows.

So, please let me know if you think the chkdsk / r was run correctly, and if so, what are the next options that could be completed. Thank you for all the help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »
    It's taking you to the Recovery partition which isn't the drive that you need to run chkdsk on...
    Repeat the procedure and at the H: prompt type in C: and hit Enter...
    If it stays at the C: prompt then type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter...
    Let it run to completion and re-boot...

BTW you are doing better than most at the command prompt so hang in there and don't get frustrated...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »
      Well, here is more feedback. BTW - Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

I went and tried to reboot from the CD (rc.iso) on the bad computer. The system said it was loading windows files and then took me to the screen where I have 2 options. They are 1) H:\I386 and 2) H:\386.
      I tried keying in C: and 2 things happened. 1, it only allows me to key in 1 character, and 2, when I type in
      C and hit enter, it says that the command is not recognized. I'm thinking at this point, how do I get to the C drive. It looks like I can only choose either option 1 or 2. So I key in option 1 and then it gives me a list of commands. I see chkdsk on the list and I also see "dir". I'm thinking I can change to the C drive here. I key in C and that doesn't work. Do I need to key in dir C: ?

Bottom line, I need help or an idea of how to get to the C drive to run chkdsk /r I'm guessing.

Your thoughts ?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
      Just go back to the recovery console and type: chkdsk c: /r and press ENTER

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
        I was able to get chkdsk c: /r to run. It has been running for about 45 minutes. It gives a % completed and it initially got to 50% pretty quick, then slowed down alot. I can hear the hard drive going so I was not to worried, actually I was excited because we are farther than ever in trying to resove the problem. It slowly went to 51%, 52%, to where it got up to 72% completed. It then jumped down to 50% completed. I can still hear the hard drive working and now it is creeping back up. Last check it was at 54% completed and the hard drive was still working.

Unless you tell me differently, I will let it continue to try and recover and keep you posted.

Your thoughts ?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »
        Leave it alone - you'll know when it's done.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
        Be Patient...

Let it run to completion.
        The fact it is re-setting itself means this is moving in the right direction...

Go mow the lawn.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
        When it is finished you will see a message saying that checkdisk found and repaired one or more errors. That will be the final message and at that point you may type: EXIT (of course you should first remove the cd otherwise you'll just boot right back to the RC).

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »
          Update - After I did my last post, I went to check on the PC. It was at 75% completed, so I sat there waiting for it to continue. A message then came up, The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. It then lists out some system information regarding availble space and things like that. I can get that information if needed.

at the bottom, it has the prompt H:\I386>

I am guessing it is looking for my input. What should I do next ?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »
          You can type EXIT (first remove the CD). You can also get a new hd.

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
            Am I to assume that hd is harddrive. Does this mean that I have lost all my data on this computer ?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »
            Checkdisk tells you there are unrecoverable errors so yes, there is a problem with your hd. As for recovering the data, patio has a link that will walk you through slaving the drive.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
            Slave Drive Tutorial

NOTE: The drive does not need to be able to boot properly for this method to work...you can swap it in to any working Desktop machine that has a CD/DVD burner to copy/burn your data...

Best of Luck !

RDP

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
              ADG and Patio - Thank you so much for your help on this. At least I now know what the problem is and I learned a lot by going thru this process, one of which is how much I don't know, but learning is good...right ?
              Anyway, looks like I have a few decisions to make. Do I want to try and save the data from my old hard drive, do I want to replace the hard drive on my PC or do I buy a new system. If I replace the hard drive, what type do I buy.

I think the most cost effective way right now is to buy a hard drive and replace the bad one and not really worry about the lost data, just get the system up and running. I have an HP tower that is almost 4 years old, but everything I have works (for now) except the hard drive.  If this is what I want to do, what are the next steps and what should I be aware of.

I'm thinking that I go buy a hard drive from a Best Buy or somewhere, take out the old one, replace it with the new one, load the operating system from the CD drive, load my email program and anti-cvirus, etc.

What are your thoughts on this. Remember, I am not a PC tech and this is a big step for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Buzzintx

Beginner
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
              Not trying to but in here but I would go somewhere else besides Best Buy as they will have a very limited selection of harddrives available. Is there a Fry's or MicroCenter close to where you live?