Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista acting a bit weird....  (Read 13483 times)

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Vista acting a bit weird....
    « Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »
    Thanks for the ideas.... set the "Power settings" to the lowest (least intrusive setting)it has... and as of now, seems to be acting like it ought to....good deal!! Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
    the excessive spin-ups/spin-downs DO put more wear on the motor;
    Setting the drive to power down after a defined period of inactivity (and I'm talking 30 minutes, not 30 seconds) will NOT put more wear on the hd motor. I'm not suggesting it will lengthen the life of the HD either (though it very well may) but it does make sense to power down hd & display when the system isn't going to be used for a period of time - certainly from a power conservation perspective.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:00:50 AM by ADG »

smeezekitty

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
    whats the point of power conserving if you are not on batterys?

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »
    First, it's batteries, not batterys. Second, your question doesn't deserve an answer (as is the case with most of your posts).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
    Setting the drive to power down after a defined period of inactivity (and I'm talking 30 minutes, not 30 seconds) will NOT put more wear on the hd motor. I'm not suggesting it will lengthen the life of the HD either (though it may), but it does make sense to power down hd & display when the system isn't going to be used for a period of time - certainly from a power conservation perspective.

Yes, I surely wasn't suggesting that such a fact should even be considered when setting the respective power management options, merely that although his conclusion was erroneous that the basic facts were accurate.

Most people have a thing called a "power bill" that they pay using "money". More money is better, therefore a cheaper power bill is good too.

And of course there's all that stuff about the environment, blah blah.... don't put your six-pack holders in the duck pond, etc etc.

EDIT: heh, sorry ADG, forgot to post this when I first wrote it and left the tab open  :P
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
    EDIT: heh, sorry ADG, forgot to post this when I first wrote it and left the tab open  :P
    No problem friend. In my short time here there are a few members whose posts and input I've grown to respect, and you are one of them.

smeezekitty

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
    but the point is you could disconnect the hdd
    and the PSU wouldnt draw that much more power
    p.s. this is totally useless and i am going to stop posting about this but overall ADG is wrong

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »
    but the point is you could disconnect the hdd
    and the PSU wouldnt draw that much more power
    p.s. this is totally useless and i am going to stop posting about this but overall ADG is wrong

No, he isn't. the Hard Drive motors are (some) of the more power-drawing components of a PC, and they do NOT need to be running all the time. The "wear" I describe above it negligible(if they even exist at all, It's pure conjecture, really; it seems logical, to assume that there is some amount of wear on the drive, however it is probably not even worth mention at all, heck if we wanted our drives to last forever we'd never turn them on anyway!. Their power draw DOES influence what the PSU draws from the wall, (depending on the PSU itself, as well). this is what the "switching" and load compensation in a PSU is for- when a component stops drawing power from a rail, say, a floppy stops spinning, or, in this case, a HD motor spins down- with it's 12v rail now missing load, the PSU might still try to "push" through the same amount of current as it was when it was required. However, the "load-balancing" common in most Power supplies stops this, detects the lighter load and the PSU sends only what current is needed.

in general the DC output current is proportional to the AC current draw, which directly affects, in some way, the electric bill, and of course the other concerns mentioned.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

smeezekitty

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
    No, he isn't. the Hard Drive motors are (some) of the more power-drawing components of a PC, and they do NOT need to be running all the time. The "wear" I describe above it negligible(if they even exist at all, It's pure conjecture, really; it seems logical, to assume that there is some amount of wear on the drive, however it is probably not even worth mention at all, heck if we wanted our drives to last forever we'd never turn them on anyway!. Their power draw DOES influence what the PSU draws from the wall, (depending on the PSU itself, as well). this is what the "switching" and load compensation in a PSU is for- when a component stops drawing power from a rail, say, a floppy stops spinning, or, in this case, a HD motor spins down- with it's 12v rail now missing load, the PSU might still try to "push" through the same amount of current as it was when it was required. However, the "load-balancing" common in most Power supplies stops this, detects the lighter load and the PSU sends only what current is needed.

in general the DC output current is proportional to the AC current draw, which directly affects, in some way, the electric bill, and of course the other concerns mentioned.
    dang it you made m post again
    most of the PSU's i have take almost the same amount unless the computer actually goes to standby
    also the eletric bill is ovously the main concern because turning a harddrive motor off
    doesnt effect the enviroment  at all

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
    also the eletric bill is ovously the main concern because turning a harddrive motor off
    doesnt effect the enviroment  at all

Smeeze

Please do us all a favor. Grab both of your ears and give them a downward pull so maybe you can pull your head out of your !%&.

If the hard drive uses less power that will in effect cause the power bill to be lower so if the power bill is lower that means the consumer has used less power. This in turn means that the power company has to generate less power which in turns means less of an impact on the environment.

Mods,

Sorry if I went to far with the pulling his head out of his !%& rant but he really has no clue and from what I have seen of his post he isn't willing to even try and learn and that really annoys me.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

smeezekitty

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
    let me clarify step down reduction
    these are not real number figures or scale it is just to give an example
    say if you load the PSU with 50 less watts it will maybe take 10 less input watts
    then there is the house transformer
    you load that with 10 less watts and it will take 2 less watts
    then there is the high voltage stepdown
    take 2 less watts and the input stays the same
    you are not figureing after evrey transformer there is less input reduction when output load is reduced
    so turning a hdd motor off wouldnt even trigger the power plant to notice the power diffrence
    and they would not throttle down power reduction and the power bill reduction would only
    be noticeable to somone that is short on cash (lots of people)
    i dislike people that think they can save the enviroment
    because the best way to do it
    is dont throw your trash on the ground
    even turning off a lightbulb will be insugnificant

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
      Smeezekitty you are confusing Watts with Amps.

smeezekitty

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
      Smeezekitty you are confusing Watts with Amps.
      i was just trying to demonstrate turning the hdd motor off
      will not effect the enviroment one bit
      infact it makes the problem worse:
      if you start and stop it it wears the motor out faster
      meaning you have to buy another one sooner using more materals from the earth
      i will stop posting because i dont want this to get rediculus

Mulreay

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
      i dislike people that think they can save the enviroment
      because the best way to do it
      is dont throw your trash on the ground
      even turning off a lightbulb will be insugnificant

I'm confused how not throwing my chocolate wrapper on the floor is better for the environment than say not cutting down the rainforest, car pooling, turning unnecessary appliances off, controlling the cattle population, reducing air travel or simply using alternative fuels.
      You should go to the next G8 summit (they can re-name it G9 for you) and tell them about this litter issue. And there's all these countries doing the wrong thing when all along they just had to hire some litter wardens. Good job Smeeze once again you have lit the path for the rest of us.  ::)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »
      The prudent thing to do most times when you find yourself in a hole for whatever reason is to immediately stop digging...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "