Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista acting a bit weird....  (Read 13555 times)

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Vista acting a bit weird....
    « Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
    No i didn't say, and unfortunately, I don't have a backup date far enough back..... guess i'm up a creek!! I do find it ridiculous a "critical update" from Microsoft can create such a mess on an unaltered system of theirs.... should have been marked "use at your own risk"!! I've found pages of nothing but people having trouble with IE8.... oh well..... I give up on em. How much of IE can you strip out without screwing up anything else??? Or am I now stuck leaving the "dead weight" on the Hard Drive ??? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
    Personally I review every update; IE8 appeared before, but I'm not sure why, but it no longer appears on my updates list, nor on my "hidden updates" list. Only a few updates for the MSRT show up in my critical updates.

I've also had updates make my network card stop working, too. Generally, I review the updates, and don't install new programs or drivers through them, regardless of vendor. this includes Internet Explorer and, since it happened any driver for my hardware. Mostly just security updates.

Since you cannot find a way ot remove the program, perhaps you can uninstall the update that installed it. You can find installed updates:

In the "programs and features" control panel, the task pane on the left posesses a link to "view installed updates"; there you can probably find Internet Explorer 8 and try to uninstall it that way.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
      Tried that, got error "some parts failed to uninstall"... so in MS wisdom, we leave everything THERE then! Functional or not... Tried to use the Vista disc to do a "system repair"... but it looks like they took that option out too!!! I went to try and got as far as it preparing to format the HD.. so I stopped!! what's up with them taking out USEFUL options and .... never mind. I'll run on Firefox and let er go frankly I don't have time to keep fiddling around fixing their nonsense.... Thank you for trying tho!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
      is your Vista disc an actual Vista disc? Mine still has System recovery options; it's far better then that offered by XP, actually. Although I do sort of prefer the recovery console, makes me feel smart. heh.

Personally I had updated to IE8 using windows update, but found that it broke my winamp lyrics plugin, so I uninstalled it- went along without incident, fortunately.

I haven't used Internet Explorer in ages for browsing; since IE6, in fact. I found it was the main vector  that I kept getting infected with, and since switching to firefox have only had one infection that really affected me.

Does your computer only have problems running IE8? I was under the impression that FF was also experiencing symptoms as with the rest of the system (firefox works 98% of the time, should be 100%! :P). My recommendation, since I'm not 100% sure exactly what is going on, is that the next time your working with a clean install is to review each update, MS likes to try to force Internet Explorer and a few other programs because they've made the case that they are "part of the operating system". In reality, IE includes a few components that upgrade the windows versions, IE could easily make an update that includes those updated Libraries but that would mean everybody won't get IE.

Microsoft Certainly makes a good number of good programs, such as office, and Visual studio, and so on; their paid offerings are for the most part of much higher quality then what they offer for free, but what they offer for free is by no means trash; personally, I don't like IE; but some of it's version releases broke new ground with windows itself; perhaps only conceptually the whole idea of ActiveX controls, while horrible as a web-based technology, is extremely useful and powerful when developing applications.

I guess MS kind of lost interest when Netscape no longer offered much competition; and then they gave too little too late to prevent Firefox from becoming a powerful adversary.

of course Allan disagrees with me on many points here but I do hope that he can understand my position since I'm not really bashing IE itself but rather logically concluding that while it posessed a lot of potential MS kind of let it sit on IE6 for a bit too long.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
        We were thinking similar there!! Took the plunge... backed up to cd what I needed to save, wiped the drive and did a clean install....If you're gonna do it.....might as well go all the way!  and yes, other programs acted off but only occasionally.... IE8 would lock almost as fast as it LOADED!! I'm running 7 now as it came on the Vista disc with no problems whatsover....thats what frosted me most... I had no issues with Vista UNTIL IE8 went on!! Then everything went to crap... I installed a new driver for my video board, it "seemed to help", for one night!  but I still intend to use Firefox as My primary now.... both for Virus resistance...and it just seems to be less of a pain. reason I still wanted/needed IE is I'm going into setting up a Forum board, and wanted to see it on BOTH Browsers to make sure it looked and worked right. Wife does websites and she sometimes works on this one, and I wanted it 100% up to snuff... I'm also going to add new stuff more carefully and check each for any problems before adding another new program, AND plan to use the "restore points!! Had I done that, most of this stuff might have been minor instead.... Thanks for the helpful points etc.. sure i'll be BACK!! Hank