Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts off at startup  (Read 16349 times)

smeezekitty

Re: Computer shuts off at startup
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »
However this is about the 7th time you have mentioned a "BIOS virus" which is reckless and innaccurate advice.
huh?
show me anotehr thread where i mentioned it?

hot dog

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
the temps seem OK.

If blowing a fan into the computer stopped the problem then the temps. are obviously not OK..

Although I do agree that a new heat sink is not necessarily the solution, I think adding another fan that blows in would help

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
    Hi Block-head, well the temps described do seem OK, 60C-70C.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm
    We don't know if anything was disturbed or changed when the external fan was set up, anything could have happened.
    Here's the rest of the quote you plucked out of context just in case you want to add it to your previous post. :)
    I'm also surprised that blowing a fan on it stopped the shut downs because ....

hot dog

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »
    We don't know if anything was disturbed or changed when the external fan was set up, anything could have happened.

I don't understand what you are saying here

and, the point I was trying to make was that if blowing a fan into the computer helped the problem, there must be a reason for it...  and the only reason I can think of is that the cpu temp was too high...   That is, unless the video card is the culprit, but he did state that the cpu jumped from 60 to 69 while idling in cmos.   It probably gets higher than that when bootmgr is executed, if it even makes it that far...

I didn't mean to quote you out of context... sorry 
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:51:26 AM by block_head »

lolpizowned

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
      Well i think i might have set up my fans incorrectly
      i have a cheap-ish 120mm fan in front a pretty good 80mm fan on the side of the case both blowing in
      and the crazy powerful scythe ultra kaze as exhaust in the back
      i think the ultra kaze is so powerful that it sucks up the cpu fan's air before it even gets to the cpu
      the cpu heat sink and fan is blowing straight onto the cpu and board
      i ordered a heat sink where the fan is perpendicular to the board and so it continues the airflow path without disturbance from the ultra kaze
      heres a pic of how i have it right now

hot dog

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
      Have you considered flipping the back fan so it blows inward?  This way the hot air in the computer will exit through the PSU's exhaust fan, causing all air to flow in one direction...

Although this might put thermal stress on your psu, but having all air exit through the psu is a "typical" set up...

edit: actually, your rear fan may not allow screws on the opposite side you this may not work..

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:25:30 PM by block_head »

lolpizowned

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
        well my case has vent wholes everywhere so the air would just randomly flow out of every one of them and i find that to be a little unorganized

hot dog

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »
        Vent holes are designed for intake, not exhaust...    Air will enter the computer through intake vents,  intake fans, and airflow will be mostly in the direction of the dominant exhaust fan..    Typically this is the psu exhaust fan, although some system do use that extra fan on back like your setup..   But in your case it doesn't seem to be working...

Is there available space for a front/inside fan, for intake?  This may help balance the air flow problem...

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • My first self-built computer
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »

Although this might put thermal stress on your psu, but having all air exit through the psu is a "typical" set up...

I dissagree. My case fans blow front to back, side fan sucks in, CPU fan blows front to back, memory fans blow in onto memory heat sinks, and the PSU fan sucks from inside the case and blows out the back. But all air does not exit through the PSU. 1- it lacks the CFM to keep up with the intake fans (2 -250mm} and 2 - it doesn't displace enough CFM to cool all the internal components. The PSU fan is only meant to cool the PSU.

hot dog

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
        I dissagree. My case fans blow front to back, side fan sucks in, CPU fan blows front to back, memory fans blow in onto memory heat sinks, and the PSU fan sucks from inside the case and blows out the back. But all air does not exit through the PSU. 1- it lacks the CFM to keep up with the intake fans (2 -250mm} and 2 - it doesn't displace enough CFM to cool all the internal components. The PSU fan is only meant to cool the PSU.

That makes sense...     Although I read in a book a while back that PSUs act as primary exhaust.....perhaps it was referring to some OEM builds.....   I actually own a computer where the primary exhaust it the psu..   

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • My first self-built computer
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
        I suppose if there is no case fan then the CPU fan would serve an exhaust. Does your computer also exhaust CPU heat through the PSU or does it have a separate fan and a duct for the CPU?

lolpizowned

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:31 PM »
          yes the vx550 power supply comes with a nice 120mm fan which is right above the cpu. i would imagine that that exhausts a majority of the hot air if the kaze whasnt there. i will try flipping the kaze once i get the new heatsink

hot dog

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
          yes the vx550 power supply comes with a nice 120mm fan which is right above the cpu. i would imagine that that exhausts a majority of the hot air if the kaze whasnt there. i will try flipping the kaze once i get the new heatsink

Well as I said, you may not be able to flip the kaze fan because the other side may not have screw holes, which didn't occur to me at first, and as lectrocrew said, your psu might lack the Cubic Feet/Minute to displace what the kaze fan would suck in...  It would probably be better if you tried adding a fan to the front/inside as intake...  That will distribute more air across the cpu before the Kaze gets to it  ;)        This way there will be less thermal stress on the psu

I suppose if there is no case fan then the CPU fan would serve an exhaust. Does your computer also exhaust CPU heat through the PSU or does it have a separate fan and a duct for the CPU?

There are intake vents on the side and an optional space on back for an exhaust fan, which is not in use.  The cpu has it's own fan that blows down onto the cpu, which leaves the psu  as primary exhaust...   Never had any overheating problems

lolpizowned

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »
            as i said earlier i do have a front intake that blows air over my HD and into the general case. its 120mm id say its around 50-60 cfm then i have a rosewill 80mm on the side panel at around 40-50 cfm. have the kaze and psu as exhaust , kaze at 130 cfm and psu varying according to temp
            additionaly the kaze is on a pci rack where i had 2 80mm fans sucking air off the top of my GPU prior

hot dog

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »
            as i said earlier i do have a front intake that blows air over my HD and into the general case.

sorry I guess I missed that..