Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: About an old computer RAM upgrade  (Read 12348 times)

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: About an old computer RAM upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Computer_Commando:
Thanks for your advice. I'll keep it in mind.
BC_Programmer:
Thank you for your tips. I'll also bear them in mind but I've read that the 486 processor is considered a fourth generation processor and my Cyrix 6x86MX/MII, 225 MHz PR300 is considered a sixth generation processor.

On the other hand, I've finished the visual inspection of my motherboard and I've found I have three 186 pin DIMM memory slots and seemingly four 72 pin SIMM memory slots.

Two of the DIMM memory slots are occupied by what is sketched in the attachment.

I would like to upgrade RAM up to 128 MB not for the sake of speeding the computer but but for having enough capacity to upload from a live CD to RAM an approximately 100MB Linux distro operating system

With these components, do you think I can reach my goal?

Best wishes

Vigaenson

[attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
...With these components, do you think I can reach my goal?...
Unfortunately, you're going where few have gone before. You will have to try adding the 1 additional 32MB or 64MB, DIMM.  Either one or may or may not work, you'll just have to try it.

It is unlikely that you will be able to even find any 72-pin SIMMS, I haven't seen any of those in a long, long time.  If I remember correctly, some of those old motherboards were able to support 2 different types of memory, but not simultaneously.

BTW, I have a very old Cyrix 486SLC-50 laptop with 16MB RAM, which is proprietary.  It dual boots Win3.1 & Win95, Win98SE was just too slow.

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Computer_Commando:

Thanks for your reply.

It is unlikely that you will be able to even find any 72-pin SIMMS, I haven't seen any of those in a long, long time. 
I agree. If I remember correctly I've only seen them in pictures.

If I remember correctly, some of those old motherboards were able to support 2 different types of memory, but not simultaneously.
You're right, I also read about that.

Next Saturday I'll try adding the additional DIMMs. Just in case that doesn't t work I'm considering the possibility of  reaching my goal  (uploading the approximately 100 MB Linux distro operating system to the 1 GB Toshiba hard disk that is connected to the old  computer ) by means of a connection between my new computer and the 1GB Toshiba hard disk.

Unfortunately  I don't know if that's possible not to mention how to do it.

If you (or anyone else) have ideas on the latter, they're welcome.

Regards

Vigaenson

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
High Computer_Commando!! :)
I want to thank you again for your help :) and keep you updated with my problem.
I finally found  :P (it wasn't easy) and bought a new 128 MB memory stick.
Because slits nš 2 and nš 3 were both occupied by 32 MB sticks, I tried to fit it into slit nš 1 but something must have been wrong with that slit because it didn't retain it, neither did it retain the sticks that were in the other two slits.  ???
At last, I removed both 32MB sticks and occupied slit nš3 with the 128 MB stick.
They are now recognized by the Everest Report and working fine with Windows 98.
But although the old PC has more memory now, I haven't been able to install the 100 MB Linux version on the 1GB hard drive yet.  :( So I'll have to begin new topic/s on the appropriate forum/s if I want to reach my goals.
Is there anything I can do for you? ;)
Hoping to be hearing from you
Best regards and Happy New Year!
Vigaenson