Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wont Stop Reciving  (Read 2425 times)

fatmanplaying

Topic Starter

Wont Stop Reciving
    « on: September 16, 2009, 03:12:22 AM »
    On my task bar in my system tray I have "Show Notification in task bar" checked and I can see my send and received when I open my task bar.
    My problem is that I am always receiving data. seems to be around 300kb /s
    I had QWEST internet and phone service but was only getting 50kb /s so had comcast installed now get around 3MB /s which is great but I am always showing that I am downloading something. I have no idea what it could be. I had comcast before QWEST and it did not non stop download then. Nothing on my computer has changed except I ditched QWEST for Comcast. I even uninstalled all QWEST files that I can find. I have tried to stop all running programs like geek super hero, AVG, Spybot, Peer guardian.
    Everything i have tried and it still downloads. I'm running windows xp home with service pack 3. My computer is AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.01GHz with 1gig ram. It is a valid windows install. I'm using Dynex DX-e101 PCI Adapter and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Vid card. Iv ran my virus avg program and then spy bot nothing seems to help stop the receiving. I really wish I knew what it was downloading but am not sure how to check. I know next to nothing on networks so any help offered please speak newb for me :)
    Thank you.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wont Stop Reciving
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
    Are you experiencing any problems?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Wont Stop Reciving
      « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
      Do u have any P2P SW (for Example Limeware or any program for download music, video) install?
      Open a command prompt, Go Start>Run and type "ipconf /all" without the quotation marks. This will tell us a lot. If u have any that looks like Automatic Tunneling Pseudo interface. U have some kind of P2P SW running in the background. Also not sure if Comcast is still doing this or not, but there was a time when they were managing network traffic.     
      The other option is time consuming and it might help is to see what service is causing this problem.
      Go to>Start>Run and type "msconfig" there r 2 tabs that we r interested in Services and Startup.
      First lets check Service Tab, U can checked the hide all Microsoft service. This will leave only 3rd party service running. One at a time unchecked a service and reboot, check to see if u r still downloading. Do this until u find the service (if any) that stops the download. If u find one don't stop, write it down and continue until u finish all services. The other Tab Startup pretty much the same, u can leave anything that states C:\Windows\sys32 for last. If u find something write back with a post  and we can help u some more. I known this is time consuming, but we need to find the service first before we can trouble shoot.