Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: diskedit.exe  (Read 16667 times)

EEVIAC

diskedit.exe
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »
Does Windows XP have a diskedit utility?

Following the instructions in a book, I created an ms-dos floppy disk and booted from it, but when I type "diskedit" it says "bad command or file name"

The instructions say to first change to the directory with diskedit before typing it, but when I type "dir" to see what directories are on the floppy disk I don't see any directory entries...

I tried booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and the diskedit command doesn't work there either..

EEVIAC

Re: diskedit.exe
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »
...please ignore this post..     I accidentally quoted my first post.

Why isn't there a "delete" post option?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:12 AM »
...please ignore this post..     I accidentally quoted my first post.

Why isn't there a "delete" post option?

Because it was being abused...
diskedit is a dangerous tool if you don't know exactly what you are doing....what are the issues ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
There are no issues..   I just want to experiment with it so I can learn how to use it..     

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
"experiments" with disk editing should be done in a VM or another machine that doesn't have important data.

Actually the VM option is a very attractive one.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
So why doesn't the diskedit command work when typed at a command prompt, when booted to an ms-dos boot disk?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, diskedit.exe was part of  Norton Utilities for DOS and I don't know that it would work with XP (you can try it in DOS compatibility mode I guess) . I think Win2K SP2 also had a diskedit.exe utility. If you can find a copy of that it might work with XP since the two OS's are built on the same kernel.

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, diskedit.exe was part of  Norton Utilities for DOS

I think I read that somewhere else as well, which makes sense.   However, I'm following step by step instructions on how to start the diskedit utility and it says to either boot into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" or boot from an ms-dos floppy disk and type "diskedit"

Before typing diskedit it says to first "change" to the folder with the diskedit utility.  I have no idea what folder that is because it won't let me change to the C:\ drive and when I type dir it only lists files on the ms-dos boot disk (no folders)

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
I don't know what instructions you are talking about and I really don't follow exactly what you are doing. But again, it's a DOS utility and there is no DOS with XP.

EEVIAC

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
Here is a quote from the book I'm talking about, "Upgrading and Repairing Windows 2nd Edition"...

"Using Diskedit to Examine a drive:

1. Boot the computer to a command prompt (not Windows); Diskedit needs exclusive access to the drives you plan to examine. If you use Windows 9x, press F8 or Ctrl to bring up the startup menu and select Safe Mode Command Prompt, or use the Windows 9x/Me Emergency start up disk (make one with add/remove programs). If you use Windows 2000 or XP, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, right-click drive A: in My Computer, and select Format.  Select the create an MS-DOS startup Disk option and use this disk to start your computer.[/i]

2. Change to the folder containing your mouse driver (if using a mouse) and Diskedit."

After this it says to type "diskedit" to start the diskedit utility and you go from there.  But like I said, I don't know what "folder" the book is talking about.. I typed "dir" while booted to the floppy disk to see if there are any folders in it and all I see are files.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:52:37 PM by EEVIAC »

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
Are you at a command prompt? If so, have you tried typing cd c:\  ? That will take you to the root of c: drive. Now you can find whatever folder it is you are looking for.

EEVIAC

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »
Yes, I am at a command prompt.  I made an ms-dos boot disk as per instructions and booted to it.  When I'm at the A:\> prompt, I type C:  and it says Invalid Drive Specification

Even if I could get to C I don't know what "folder" they are talking about.  I even did a search in Windows XP for diskedit.exe and it came up with nothing..

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
Of course there is no diskedit.exe in XP.
Okay, you know what? Obviously you and I are on different pages and I don't think I'm helping you any so I'll just bow out. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.

EEVIAC

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
It seems obvious now that there is no diskedit in XP............The book should have been more specific in the steps..   Thanks anyway

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
diskedit is not on ANY windows boot disk. it's a Norton utility.
EDIT: well, there is an SDK tool, too. but it's a windows program.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
1. Boot the computer to a command prompt (not Windows); Diskedit needs exclusive access to the drives you plan to examine. If you use Windows 9x, press F8 or Ctrl to bring up the startup menu and select Safe Mode Command Prompt, or use the Windows 9x/Me Emergency start up disk (make one with add/remove programs). If you use Windows 2000 or XP, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, right-click drive A: in My Computer, and select Format.  Select the create an MS-DOS startup Disk option and use this disk to start your computer.[/i]

All this is predicated by saying it doesn't exist in Windows...
There was a diskedit in DOS but it was not even close to the Norton utility...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
Yes, I am at a command prompt.  I made an ms-dos boot disk as per instructions and booted to it.  When I'm at the A:\> prompt, I type C:  and it says Invalid Drive Specification
The book you have is either very old or badly edited.
You must do your  experiments on the A: drive. You can edit sectors on the A: drive until you ruin it and then you will have to create a new floppy.
FYI. You can use the old DEBUG program to edit the floppy disk also. And a great learning experience.  8)

EEVIAC

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »
All this is predicated by saying it doesn't exist in Windows...

If I had read the page just before the instructions I would have known this.  ;D     I didn't exactly start the "Windows Data Recovery" chapter at the beginning.

FYI. You can use the old DEBUG program to edit the floppy disk also. And a great learning experience.

thanks I'll look into it as well..