Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to quote part of a post in forum?  (Read 2473 times)

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
    How to quote part of a post in forum?
    « on: September 19, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »
    I know how to quote the whole of a post.  But what about part of it?

I used "Insert quote" button in a reply and then I copied and pasted.  It comes out different from other quotes that I have seen.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to quote part of a post in forum?
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:21:08 AM »
    I know how to quote the whole of a post.  But what about part of it?

I used "Insert quote" button in a reply and then I copied and pasted.  It comes out different from other quotes that I have seen.
    By "Insert quote" button, do you mean the button that appears above the message composition panel?  Or, do you mean the "Insert quote" link that appears at the top of each preceding post in a thread (you may need to scroll down the page to see them)?  If you use the Insert Quote link, as I did for the above quote, you get the full content of the original post (0P) and the username of the member being quoted appears above the quote.  If you do not want to quote the entire post, just cut the unwanted part out. 

If you use the "Insert quote" button, then the name of the member being quoted does not appear.

Sometimes, I copy content from a post I'm going to be quoting into Notepad, make the modifications there, and then copy it into the message composition panel.

Does that help?

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: How to quote part of a post in forum?
      « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
      It helped.  Thanks.