Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: accessing a router with a laptop  (Read 2701 times)

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

accessing a router with a laptop
    « on: September 24, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
    I have a ? I am using a verizon usb 760 and I am using it on a laptop.  I want to use a linksys 310n off the eithernet port on the side of the laptop.  How do I access the router this way.  I want to flash the 310 with dd-wrt software so I can use the router as a repeater.  The laptop is a vista, any help on this......thanks...two-dogs

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: accessing a router with a laptop
      « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
      Today's router r web based. U might have to type a IP Address something like 192.168.x.x. then a admin user/password. If u do not know what IP address or the password. Check out the manufacture web site and follow the instructions.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
        What I need to know is how do I access the router, I typed in the 192.168.0.1 but nothing happened.  I have the connection shared.  I have the eithernet cable hooked up to a lan, but no luck.  Is there anything else I need to do.........thanks for your help...........two-dogs   

brie

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
          Can you ping the router?

What error message specifically do you get?

Do you still have the original firmware on the router? Or did you install DD-WRT or something like that?

--
          Brie
          pingbrie.com

midsail

Hopeful
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
            Not sure if I read yr post correctly, when i first read.
            U have the USB modem from Verizon, that u r using for internet connection. U have Ethernet cable connect from the Laptop (LT) to the router?
            Not sure if u can connect this way, u might try a crossover cable between the LT and router. Make sure just for peace of mind u r connecting it to the port that states something like modem.
            Also check the setting and compare them on the router and the LT.
            Usually the modem connectes to the router, then the Node. The router give the gateway and submask information and assigns a IP Address to the other Nodes. Since u r getting the DNS IP Address, gateway and submask from the USB modem. U might want to enter this setting into the router. write back and let us know.

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: sharing my mbr1000 connection with my 310n
              « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
              Sorry guys I went back and read my post I can see why you were confused.  Here is the deal I have a Network setup using a mbr 1000 cradlepoint and the modem plugged into it.  Now what I wanted to do is use my 310n as a repeater to be able to hook up my IP device in another room and share the connection from my cradlepoint.  Now I have flashed the 310n with the dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin software that I downloaded from there site, and read on how to run as a repeater but for some reason it doesn't work.  If you have or know someone that has done this procedure, I sure could use some help.......thanks.....two-dogs     
              « Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:21:30 PM by two-dogs »