Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: which motherboard for core i7, what wattage power supply, which computer case?  (Read 3045 times)

Thomas901

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    i will be getting an intel core i7 920 processor  1. which motherboard should i buy? the p6t or the x58?   i will also be getting the geforce gtx 295 video card.   2.what wattage power supply should i use  for these 3 components, 700? 1000??? 3. can anyone recommend a specific case to use?  the cheaper  and smaller the better but id like it to be able to cool everything well and and have everything fit.  any other helpful info would be greatly appreciate. i really dont know what im doing here.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    a good 750w psu will do it
    how much do you have to spend for motherboard and case?

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
     i will also be getting the geforce gtx 295 video card. 

3. can anyone recommend a specific case to use?  the cheaper  and smaller the better but id like it to be able to cool everything well and and have everything fit. 
    Your case will need plenty of room for the GTX 295. I have a GTX 260 and it barely fits in my ATX full tower case. They are large cards.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    And for the case I would get a haf 932

Thomas901

Topic Starter

Rookie

ok thanks for the info on the size.. and the haf 932.  i was looking at mid size towers..i guess those are a definite no. 

on ebay  the motherboards went from around 180 to i think 3 something.  which motherboard do you guys recommend? evga? asus? the x58so?  would it be ok to go with the cheapest?  i don't know anything about it so i dont really know if buying the cheaper  motherboard  will make a huge difference or not.

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      Before any one can properly recommend a mother board you need to specify exactly what you plan on doing this comp.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      We need a budget.  Dont go with the cheapest because I think thats a jetway.  They suck. Also, do want to overclock?