Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How often do you play games?

0-5 hours a week.
3 (7.5%)
1-2 hours a day.
10 (25%)
3-6 hours a day.
16 (40%)
7-10 hours a day.
8 (20%)
I'm playing a game right now.
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: How much gaming?  (Read 15152 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How much gaming?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
iexplicable. thought it was heat at first, but I stress tested it with furMark for 8 hours with no problems.

Not sure what is causing it. Might be an issue with the demo or something (???)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
Have you installed the updates? I believe there are two.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
Never really could get into any C&C after Red Alert 2; I do have generals/Zero Hour but have hardly played it.

I didn't get C&C:RA2 when it first came out. I didn't get it until I got Command & Conquer: The First Decade. I still haven't played it though. I didn't like the first Red Alert much.

I miss the classic adventure games like Return to Zork, The Journeyman Project, Myst, Phantasmagoria and the like. They just don't make games like that anymore. On the rare occasion that they do, it never makes it over here to Thailand. The games aren't very popular over here, mostly because of the language barrier and they don't waste the time to translate those games. Mostly, EA games are popular over here because they maintain a Thailand office and they translate most of their games into Thai. I never played C&C3 because the version they sell here is only in Thai, and I have to use a hack to activate the English language files for Battlefield II, which is Thai by default here, but they left the language files on the disc for all countries however didn't give any option to change the language.

First-person shooters, real-time strategies, and MMO games are most popular over here. For FPS and RTS, you don't really need a translation, it's all about blowing stuff up. As for MMO, most of the Asia made MMOs get translated, like Ragnarok Online, Mu, and others. After Blizzard decided to drop the idea of giving Thailand their own translation and servers and just add them to the US servers, a Thai translation and privately run free server came out. Understandable since it costs about 500 baht ($15) to play a month. For most Thai kids and even young working adults, 500 baht is quite a bit considering minimum wage is 30 baht/hour and the fact that you could eat for an entire week for 500 baht.

s-mac

Rookie
    « Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:53 AM »
    Don't play so much on my computer..I got a nice home computer...but for some reason, I'd rather use my netbook...so much more convenient to me...so I can only play a few games, small arrow keys are a bit annoying though...

About once a week I'll fire up Flight Simulator X and play that a while..though usually i'll be online doing something, or on the phone while checking my plane every minute or two..but I'll get into an F-18 or a boatplane and give it a couple hours of my dedicated time every once in a while.

Usually I play my PSP. I got a NES and SNES emulator and a hundred or so classic games on it. Theoretically I can emulate N64, but I don't know how well it would be able to play it, I havn't tried yet. Even if I can't, I got enough SNES/NES games for a lifetime. The fact that I can play these old games from my childhood on a handheld system I can carry in my pocket still amazes me. I love it!

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
      « Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »
      I think i was addicted  to the games. I preferred to play more than 5 hrs daily whenever there is holiday. I completed all the microsoft's age collection. The most likely game for me is Need for speed Most Wanted
      Vikram...

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
      I've actually got, somewhere, one of the devices they use for pulling those games off the SNES cartridges (their licenses do say you can make a backup copy  :P). It's packed away somewhere, but basically it plugs into where the cartridges would normally go. On the front, it has a 3.5" floppy drive and on top a slot to put the actual cartridge into.

The thing has been sitting around in a box somewhere for so long, I doubt it even still works. Picked it up at some second-hand electronics place about 10 years ago. It worked then, but like I said, I doubt it does anymore.

Supposedly there's a way to also copy those back onto other cartridges, through I never took the time to find out how.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »
      you can copy them back onto a special cartridge, but not onto an existing game, since the games themselves are stored- on actual ROM chips- (that is, nothing like today's "ROM" chips, where you could flash them... the data was physically ingrained in the circuits).

Also, from one of my old SNES manuals:

IMPORTANT

WARNING: Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international copyright laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted.

This Nintendo game is not designed for use with any unauthorized copying device. Use of any such device will invalidate your Nintendo product warranty. Nintendo (and/or any Nintendo licensee or distributor) is not responsible for any damage or loss cuased by the use of any such device. If use of such device causes your game to stop operating, disconnect the device carefully to avoid damage and resume normal gameplay. If your game ceases to operate and you have no device attached to it, please contact your local authorized Nintendo retailer.

The contents of this notice do not interfere with your statutory rights.

So... yeah I don't think it's allowed :P In fact that also applies to things like the Game Genie- using that voids the warranty on both the console and the game itself. That being said they generally don't damage the games, at least not that I've seen. And I doubt they'd be able to know anyway. Add to that that I have a strange feeling that games from 1992 aren't under warranty anymore, anyway, so your not really voiding anything to begin with.

Anyway, I believe the devices, nowadays (according to my lurking on the ZSNES forums) are called "game dumpers" or "ROM copiers". I've never heard of one with a floppy drive though, since the only ROM that was smaller then 1.44MB that I'm aware of was Super Mario World. (Chrono Trigger, for example, is over 4MB in ROM format).  I wonder how it worked- it must have compressed the game, or not even dumped into the ubiquitous SFC format. (which has been bastardized into SMC... SFC="Super Famicom Cartridge"... SMC doesn't stand for anything, that I can tell.

The nice thing about the games with Battery back-up is that the batteries are the CR2032 that are so easily obtainable, and it's a simple process (with the proper screwdriver bit to open the cartridge) to replace the now often 15-18 year old batteries with nice fresh ones. In my case I got over 60% through the SNES zelda that I had just gotten of ebay- only to find, that it refused to keep any save games. But it was not because the battery was dead, but rather because- somehow or other - one of the contacts was bent and no longer on contact. removing the battery, bending it down, and replacing the battery fixed the issue.

perhaps the more exciting cartridges are those that use the SFX and SFX2 chips, since they use extra tabs on the left and right, and often posess some of the bulkiest circuitry that sometimes has trouble fitting in the game pak. (this is also why, for example, the Yoshi's Island cartridge is heavier then, say, Mortal kombat, or most other games.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
      Actually, a good number of the SNES were under 1MB. The cartridge I tested it with, Actraiser, fit onto one floppy. I think it came out 500-600k or so. Super Mario World is about 300k. A lot of the games were like this. Some of the larger games, especially Square Soft games, were usually about 3-4MB. I never tested it with one of these. Might try it some day if the thing still works.

Here's a picture of one similar to the one I've got, though not identical. Its top slot is on the left side going front to back, where the slot on mine is in the center going left to right.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
      must  compress, or something, because, the SMC I have of that game is over 1,070 KB... would still fit on a floppy, though. On the other hand, it is the Japanese version I have for some reason. Might make a difference- and of course the headers, don't know how big those are.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
      "All your base are belong to us!" takes extra space, you know...    ;D

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:08 PM »
      "All your base are belong to us!" takes extra space, you know...    ;D

;D

That's text compression, not Engrish! I swear!

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
      « Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
      your all casual gamer unless you play hand helds in a waterproof bag in the shower :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »
      WOW! that is one insane addiction. You need help.
      Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
      I would like to revise my vote to 0hr a day now  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
      I hate school so much

"High school is like a spork, a crappy spoon and a crappy fork, so in the end its just useless" - John Mayer

125384ajw

Greenhorn
        « Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »
        i clicked the wrong thing-------7to10 hours a day
        i play about 7hours on PC and 2hours on PS2/psp/wii/gameboy
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------