Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching graphics card from nvidia 6150 se to 8600 gtand its freezing in games.  (Read 5078 times)

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

Today I recieved my  Evga Nvidia geforce 8600 gt graphics card to switch out from my current nvidia 6150 se which is an integrated chip I think. Before I put the graphics card in I followed the directions and unistalled the nvidia 6150 se drivers and nvidia drivers and I installed latest direct x and sound drivers for my computer. I turned my computer off and installed the Evga Nvidia geforce 8600 gt card and rebooted I installed everything ok. I download the latest drivers and everything and then started up left 4 dead I played for 4 mins or less and it got all pixely and purpleish and froze and I had to reboot. I tried unistalling my drivers again and did all of the steps over again and I tried ed more games and I still kept freezing on every game and I had to reboot everytime I have a Hp pavillion a6530f Pc please can anyone help me. [note it said to turn antivirus off during driver installation i am going to unistall my drivers turn off norton and then re install them hopefully it works]

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

Nope the norton antivirus  thing did not work it freezes faster however in the elder scrolls 4 oblivion than it does in garry mod which is run off the half life 2 engine . I tried alot of things I turned the resolution down alot as well but nothing and last time oblivion froze i got a blue screen and had to restart as well any help please, It also happened right when i set up my card so it can't be overheating Im pretty sure and I have the right specs a 300 watt psu should do fine with 8600 gt dunno whats wrong i also made sure the old 6150 card was disabled and gone so anyone have any suggestions. I also already tried unistalling and reinstalling the drivers and such. [ I have a HP W2007 monitor i think its lcd not sure]

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sadly I found out the problem before I booted up I had to go to set up and change my primary adapter to pci e x16 it was on just regular PCI and now the games run fine for long times without any freezing. However I am typing this from my brothers room because when i switched it my internet will not work on my computer because I think it was associated with the old PCI and when i switch it back it does not work either. Can i just reset up my internet when i try it asks for a isp and stuff i think my dad has that any other suggestions as too why the internet can't work when i switched the PCI.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        I have the same graphics card.  In the BIOS, did you turn off all PCI or just change the primary graphics to PCI-e x 16?

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

I just changed the primary video adapter or whatever in advanced from pci  to pci e x 16 and the games do not freeze anymore but my internet shut off and it works on this computer I think the internet   was attached to the old integrated chip and when i changed it it does not work and i tried changing back and it does not work also. But yeah all i changed was the pci to pci e x16 and i think i turned onboard lan off as well. But now i changed it to pic e x16 and put the onobard lan back on. Should I just set up a new connection and if so do you think my dad has the isp because i need it in order to set it up since he set it up before he might know.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          ... i think i turned onboard lan off as well. But now i changed it to pic e x16 and put the onobard lan back on. Should I just set up a new connection and if so do you think my dad has the isp because i need it in order to set it up since he set it up before he might know.
          Once you turned onboard LAN back on, you shouldn't have to do anything else.
          Now you're saying you screwed up your Dad's computer?  Time to confess to him.

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

I set it back to default and that did not work either, also, the computer is mine. also i have vista and it might be  different for you since you have xp right? I think the reason it messing up is because i use to  have the nvidia 6150 se nforce and the network was like nvidia nforce networking controller and now it does not work since im not running the old integrated  chip i am running the 8600 gt card now  dunno? Maybe i have to reset up the internet with the 8600 gt now.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            Are you positive onboard LAN is ON?
            Do you see any lights at the LAN receptacle on your computer, i.e. green and orange?
            Is your LAN light shown on the router?

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

I think everythings fine its all hooked up to the router just like this computer I set the advanced stuff in setup when you boot the computer up to default besides the pci which is still changed to pci e x16 so it runs on my new graphics card which is in that slot what else do i gotta do. Do you have aim or can you go in the chat box so I can explain it step by step. It has to be becauseof i switched my old graphics card to my new one because before I installed my new card no problems updated all the drivers and direct x and stuff but it froze and i had to restart my comp alot because it kept freezing. But as soon as I went into set up i noticed it was on pci and not pci e x16 i changed it to pci e x16 and the games worked fine but now the network is unidentified is it because I also turned onboard lan off but that would not make sense because i turned it back on to test if that was the problem. I am still waiting for my dad to get home but could i not solve this by simply connecting to a new network and re setting up my network I also have hamachi and that networkis fine just my main one thats called nvidia nforce networking controller is unidetified i went into device manager and made sure the old graphics adapter was unstalled but i did not mess with the networking controller.

[ I have time warner hi speed turbo if that means anything i just want to be able to get on internet explorer again thats the only problem] also if i edited the unidentified network and make it the same as the network in here would it work]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              This is a forum, no chat here.
              I understand about the graphics card, but it's now working.  Changing graphics cards should have no effect on the LAN.  Make sure hardware is working before moving on to software (Windows).
              Please answer these 2 questions:
              1.  Do you see any lights at the LAN receptacle on your computer, i.e. green and orange?
              2.  Is your LAN light shown on the router?

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

All of the 3 lights on my router are green signafying that all the networks in the house work one for this computer another for the computer with problems and then one for my xbox 360. For the first question where can i see this light on my computer that says lans working. I just want internet explorer to work again darn. And the ethernet cord in the back looks fine and its glowing green and orange.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                What happens when you open IE?
                Can you query the router?  This is the url for many routers:  http://192.168.1.1/

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

It says internet explorer can not display this website and when i try diagnosing the problem it tried to fix it and i tried all the ways to fix it  it did not work. I don't get it the internet is working fine and its hooked up with the same connection as the other one thats not working if i were to set up a new network would that work maybe. like going into network sharing center and click set up new network would my dad have the isp and stuff or even if i did do that would it not work also. Also i think ihave that exact model router should i check and how do i query it  dont think i remeber password for it dont know if i even set one for the router my dad might of.

Nvm i can get into my router on this computer i remembered it because before i port forwarded games should i try it on the other computer. What should i do now can't access the router on the computer with the internet messed up only on this computer.
                  « Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:07:27 PM by Kurt122 »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  Yes, try accessing the router from the "bad" computer.  Even if you don't have the password, you have at least established communication which will tell you the LAN is good to the router.

BTW, do you have DSL or cable?
                  If DSL, it could be an integrated router.  If cable modem, what brand is the router?

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have time warner cable hispeed turbo or roadrunner whatever it is called.  My router is a Linkys BEFSR41  to be exact. And on this computer I could login to it and stuff but on the other it would not load the page or anything. And I diagnosed the problem again and instead of it being limited its now a local only connection but I still cannot access Internet explorer. Do I have to reinstall the old graphics card drivers along with the 8600 gt which i have already or would that do nothing. Or once again would setting up a network again do anything.

It says it also on an unidentified network and I can not see this computer from the sharing center like i could before. Yet its connected up to the router this is hooked up to fine.
                    « Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:38:18 PM by Kurt122 »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                    Device Manager---Network Adapters
                    Should say something like Ethernet Adapter with no yellow exclamation.

It's possible there's a resource conflict with the new graphics card.  Delete the entry and scan for hardware changes.  Windows will find the "new hardware" and assign new resources  Then query the router.

Kurt122

Topic Starter

Rookie

KK i checked network adapters it says hamachi network and then Nvidia nforce networking controller nothing besides any of them and its says they are working properly what do I do.