Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Several problems with computer  (Read 2669 times)

KAYMOM

Topic Starter

Starter

Several problems with computer
    « on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
    Hello. I'm new to the forum and I don't know what the heck I am doing, so please, bear with me!

I have an Acer laptop running Vista SP2. It is a 64-bit operating system. I have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and Windows Defender. I'm not sure what other info to give.

I just have so many problems with it lately. First I tried to update Flash but it failed. Then I kept getting popups from Internet Explorer "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?". (I updated to IE8 but I'm not sure if I did that before or after the problem.)

So I tried Firefox. That worked for awhile. Now I can't use the search bar (I can type but it won't search when I hit enter), there is no history, and I can't bookmark pages. That seemed to start after I tried to play a song on Windows Media Player that was sent from a friend (no problem for anyone else who played it). When I tried to play the song, I got a blue screen (can't remember what it said other than it would restart in seconds) and then my computer restarted. I did have Firefox up while I was using WMP.

And another problem that has arisen. I have tried to download some files (suggested updates, scans, etc.) and they all appear on the desktop as blank white boxes. When I double-click on them I get a box asking me what program I want to use to open it.

I almost forgot that about a month ago I was looking at pics my son had posted on Facebook. When I clicked on one I got a popup saying it was a security warning and I needed to run a scan on my computer. I tried to close it by clicking on the X but it started running anyhow. I immediately closed the browser and ran a full scan which found nothing.

I have no clue what I am doing.  :-[
    Can anyone help me?
    Thank you in advance,
    KayMom
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:19:23 PM by KAYMOM »

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Several problems with computer
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »
    Welcome to CH, Kaymom!

You might want to take a look at this.

Do not post the logs here.

KAYMOM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »
      Thanks, Dairyman. But I can't open any files I save to my computer. So I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks,
      KayMom

pimvdh

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
        Please tell me you didnt pressed the okay button at the scan pop-up. That would infect your entire pc, Ive been working on a pc from a customer at work, and it took me 2 days to fix it.

about that "ZoneAlarm Extreme Security"  how safe is that software, because I have heard serveral people and read serveral reviews about it and that wasn't really good.... I haven't tested those programs myself so I don't know how good they work. but your problems are somewhat the same as other people have/had with " ZoneAlarm Extreme Security" on there pc.

Please do a software check on your pc, and if you don't trust something.. delete it, if something is in your computer and was added at the same day your problems started or 1-2 days later.. delete it. (unless you know 100% sure it's a safe program)

I hope I'm wrong, but i fear you got malware on your pc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
        it appears that the registry has been corrupted (or, at least certain associations) wether this is a problem with malware, I'm not sure.

The "Scan" you saw within your browser was not, at that point, dangerous. The idea being that it will "scan" your PC (actually, it doesn't, but rather "pretends" to scan your PC, as it does not have access to your PC from the browser, and was likely just an animated picture). After the "scan" it would then tell you you need to download a program to fix it. However since you closed it it did not even get that far :). Additionally, since the "Scan" as well as the "popup" are merely images, pressing the "OK" button, specifically, is not possible, and as you've discovered the sneaky buggers simply hotlink the entire image (therefore the X button also takes you there).

I suspect that this new issue is merely a result of corruption of your registry data, and unrelated to your previous issues.

The caveat in this case is the program that might help fix it, System Restore, is- well, a program - and will likely give you the same error. quite the pickle indeed.

Can you run ANY programs? try using "Run as administrator", which executes another program with a parameter, and might succeed. Also, try booting into safe mode, which is achieved by pressing "F8" during startup immediately before the Windows logo appears. (Personally I just repeatedly press it after the initial boot-up screen).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

KAYMOM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
          Thank you for the replies!
          I can run other programs.

I will try to download and run the scans again.
          Thanks for the help.
          KayMom

Hateadub

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
            Vista is pretty buggy. At work we had a huge problem with brand name laptops (hp, dell, acer, gateway, sony).  The problem caused a large amount of laptops to bluescreen at different times. The sony's would crash when you put a usb device in them. The hp's would just bluescreen after five minutes after logging into windows. We fixed this problem by uninstalling an update (KB968389). It was nasty, we definitely had our work cut out for us for a week or so.

We also see a lot of vista machines that have that desktop problem. Some of the computers wont allow anything to be saved to desktop, or even run. We just wiped the OS to save time, but i would assume it was the registry. It s way quicker to just wipe a system for us.