Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE7, IE8 cannot install, Firefox crashes on Yahoo  (Read 4423 times)

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

IE7, IE8 cannot install, Firefox crashes on Yahoo
    « on: October 08, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
    I have a problem i don't understand. I have both Firefox and IE6 on my pc. In order to have a better browsing experience in IE, I decided to run upgrade my IE to 7 or 8 but keep the Firefox as well. Anytime I try to upgrade the IE, and restart the PC, Windows Explorer simply shuts down and I have to use CCleaner (by way of Windows Task Manager, because my desktop icons as well as my Start Menu don't appear) to reverse the installation.
    I have checked the system requirements for IE7 or 8, and I don't have any problem with them. My PC runs XP SP2, has a PIII 1GHz processor, 512MB of memory and plenty of HDD space (25 GB of 80 free). Also, my monitor has 800 x 600 display with 32 bit colours (if I read correctly from the FAQs, there should be no problem here either). I have also followed the instruction to switch off Anti-virus/Antispyware software temporarily (I am using AVG Free 8.5, which i update almost every day). I am not particularly diligent in downloading updates, but I have (primarily because of this problem) downloaded the IE updates from the Microsoft site.
    The second issue concerns Firefox. I am only facing one problem with it which is that when I sign out of my Yahoo mail it crashes and closes down as soon as the Yahoo main page tries to load. Now I checked the add-ons, and saw the latest called "Yahoo Application State Plugin". It also says that it has been disabled for my protection. I followed the link to the Mozilla site, and it told me it had been disabled because of freqeunt crashes. Now, the browser claims it is already disabled (the "enable" button is inactive), so why does the browser continue to crash?
    Hope help is out there, thanks!

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: IE7, IE8 cannot install, Firefox crashes on Yahoo
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »
    Did you uninstall IE6 first?
    Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
    Did you uninstall IE6 first?
    You can't uninstall IE6.

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
      You can't uninstall IE6.
      Yes I am aware I can't, and I did not. I simply installed IE7 on top of it, but CCleaner allowed me to uninstall that and return to IE6.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
      Yes I am aware I can't, and I did not. I simply installed IE7 on top of it, but CCleaner allowed me to uninstall that and return to IE6.
      Yes, I know. I was responding to the other poster. I'm really not sure what your problem is. But you have a fairly old system so if everything else works okay, I'd suggest you just run IE6 and Firefox and leave well enough alone.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
      have you tryed this?

Step 1Open the Start menu and click on the "Control Panel" icon.

Step 2Double-click on the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. A pop-up window will open with details about all of the programs currently installed on your computer.

Step 3Click on the "Add/Remove Windows Components" button on the left side of the pop-up window.

Step 4Uncheck the box next to "Internet Explorer" and click "Next." Then confirm your decision to uninstall the program. When the process finishes, Internet Explorer 6 will no longer appear on your computer. The installation process should take less than five minutes.

from http://www.ehow.com/how_4813013_uninstall-internet-explorer.html

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »
      You can just ignore this guy.

Citizen K

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
        You can just ignore this guy.
        Uh, why do you say that? I just checked out the site. Is it not genuine? Or is it risky following that procedure? (Or maybe an expert called (Virginia DeBolt sounds just too scary???  ;D)

have you tryed this?

Step 1Open the Start menu and click on the "Control Panel" icon.

Step 2Double-click on the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. A pop-up window will open with details about all of the programs currently installed on your computer.

Step 3Click on the "Add/Remove Windows Components" button on the left side of the pop-up window.

Step 4Uncheck the box next to "Internet Explorer" and click "Next." Then confirm your decision to uninstall the program. When the process finishes, Internet Explorer 6 will no longer appear on your computer. The installation process should take less than five minutes.

from http://www.ehow.com/how_4813013_uninstall-internet-explorer.html
        Have you tried it yourself???

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
        I have not had a reason to but it should uninstall it. I don't know if that will solve your problem but you can try it and if it does not work then you can just recheck the box and it should reinstall it.
        Step 4Uncheck the box next to "Internet Explorer" and click "Next."
        Uninstalls it.

Going to the same place and rechecking it will reinstall it.