Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: another entry point .dll failure notice  (Read 7949 times)

PunkA

Topic Starter

Rookie

another entry point .dll failure notice
    « on: February 09, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »
    Trying to run a software program and windows says it cannot find the entry point for the psapi.dll. I tried regsvr32 C:\winnt\system32\psapi.dll from Start but windows says "psapi.dll was loaded but the DLL Register Server entry point was not found. DLL Registgry Server may not be exported or a corrupt version of the psapi.dll may be in memory. Consider using Pview to detect and remove it." I opened Pview but it was for viewing processes, which didn't help my cause. How do I find out if the .dll is corrupt or a wrong  version-it's not missing because it's in system32? I also found the same .dll file in System Tools.

BillRichardson

Intermediate

Re: another entry point .dll failure notice
      « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »
      How do I find out if the .dll is corrupt or a wrong  version?

sfc /scannow

C:\>sfc /?

System File Checker (sfc)  Version 5.1

(Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW]

/SCANNOW        Scans all protected system files immediately.

C:\>
      Bill Richardson

PunkA

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: another entry point .dll failure notice
        « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
        When I ran sfc/scannow, Windows asked for the install disk. But that would not have gotten my software to run. I discovered that the program in question was written to run on an XP system and that I had an incorrect version of the .dll. So like a good Boy Scout, I copied the file from a working XP computer and did an overwrite to the dllcache and system 32 folders. The software now runs but I still cannot register the dll with regsrv. Ho hum...