Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Start up conflicts with Windows 98 and XP  (Read 4275 times)

rejoicing1

Start up conflicts with Windows 98 and XP
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:13:18 PM »
Some time ago I tried to install WindowsXP on a computer that already had Windows 98. It wouldn't let me finish the set up, and I finally gave up and removed all the files I could find that went with the XP. Now when I boot up, it asks me " Which operating system I want to choose to run.......Windows XP set up, or Windows 98".........If I choose Windows 98, I can continue to log onto the computer normally. If I choose Windows XP set up, it says that a file" <Windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing and needs to be installed..........

Where can I go to install the missing file, or how can I remove the XP from my startup altogether. I tried to reformat the hard drive and it won't let me do that even..........keeps saying " Insufficient Memory".

I am just enjoying playing around with some old hard drives to learn, and this is one of those harddrives......

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
    Re: Start up conflicts with Windows 98 and XP
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
    Click here -> http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

rejoicing1

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »
    Click here -> http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hmmmmm when I place the WindowsXP CD in the CDROM and boot up, it still just goes to the start up with the question as to whether or not to choose WindowsXP set up or Windows 98.......is there another way I can get into the BOOT.INI file and change it?

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
      « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:17:23 PM »
      On your taskbar, go to start -> Run -> type cmd and then press enter.
      In the command prompt, make sure your at C:\> and type edit boot.ini and hit enter.

I strongly recommend backing up this file, if you make any changes to it.

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

rejoicing1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:27:25 PM »
      On your taskbar, go to start -> Run -> type cmd and then press enter.
      In the command prompt, make sure your at C:\> and type edit boot.ini and hit enter.

I strongly recommend backing up this file, if you make any changes to it.

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Thanks.......I will give it a try. I am using this spare harddrive to " learn" on. I will back up this file