Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trouble deleting a file  (Read 3285 times)

haus_kat

trouble deleting a file
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »
I encountered a problem I've never had before. There is actually a text file on my computer that a program created and it is 16GB   (yes actually GB). I tried to delete this file, which seems to be causing an issue for the program, and found I got an error message that I could not delete that file because it is "too large". hmm. I have deleted several GB worth of files at once before so this is surprising to me but admittedly I don't think I've had a single file be that large, let alone a text file.

So my question is, how do you delete a file if Windows says it is "too large"?

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 64-bit service pack 1

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: trouble deleting a file
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:42:45 AM »
What is the name of the file?

And you can try an app such as "Move on Boot" to delete the file on the next boot.

haus_kat

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
the text is a log file from the program. I'm not sure that it's normal for it to be that large. The program had an error and wasn't working properly because it claimed that the file was still in use or something. I was hoping if I deleted the file that it would solve the issue but I think the program may be working okay again. I'm not sure what started the issue in the first place but possibly it was my attempting to open a file that might have been corrupted.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
NO text file should ever be that large. Try MoveOnBoot
http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
you could also try Shift-Del.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

haus_kat

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
the program seems to have sorted itself out. I checked the folder where the file was and found it is back to a normal size now (only a few kb). That was such a weird thing. It must have happened because of the program's error. I was using Handbrake. After it was able to upload and convert  a different file then the log was changed back to a smaller size. I guess the other files were just corrupted or something and so they didn't convert properly and left off a huge log file.