Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Login Screen Freeze  (Read 8110 times)

NBAMom

Login Screen Freeze
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »
I am running on Windows 2000, I believe. (It is a work computer.) I am unable to login because when I get to the login screen it freezes and won't allow me to do anything with either the mouse or the keyboard.

My IT Dept. has configured a new hard drive and everything works alright with it but I don't want to lose the information that was on my old hard drive. Is there any way to get beyond this problem so I can access my data? (If I send them the old hard drive I don't expect to get any of my information back and I really hate to have to try to rebuild everything on the replacement.)

I have tried starting in safe mode but the same thing happens when it gets to the login screen. I tried holding down F8 upon startup but the computer made a lot of noise and I didn't get to the "Windows Advanced Options" as I had expected to.

Can anyone help?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Login Screen Freeze
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
Can you boot to safe mode?

Johns

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:02 AM »
    Try booting in safe mode and make a big registry cleanup. Maybe this will solve your problem.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
    Ignore this guy.
    Try booting in safe mode and make a big registry cleanup. Maybe this will solve your problem.
    Ignore this guy.

allenanchostoney

Starter
      « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
      make sure if your hard disk is good
      and try to boot with
      live cd (like winternal ERD commander)
      and also try to
      chkdsk
      for you harddisk

I'd think that will help you