Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen Dilemma  (Read 3036 times)

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Blue Screen Dilemma
    « on: October 25, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
    I have encountered a problem on my home computer....a blue screen that has shut my windows xp down. I have tried to find a solution on the internet but as i am not a computer wizard i wondered if anybody can help me???? I would be so so grateful.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Blue Screen Dilemma
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
    What is the exact blue screen error?

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
      tells me windows has closed down to prevent my computer from damage....then goes on to say about a driver being identified in the stop message, disable driver or check for update. asks if i want to go to safe mode....i have tried this but my computer will not let me. then says Technical Information:
      ***STOP: 0x0000008E some more numbers enclosed in brackets.
      ***SCSIPORT.SYS-Address F769084B base at F7681000, DateStamp 4802539d
      Then says beginning dump of physical memory.
      Physical memory dump complete.
      I have scoured the internet for remedies but as i dont know that much really about computers i find it quite daunting....

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
      1) What led up to this (what happened between the last time the system ran normally and the first time it did not - new hw, sw, virus, etc)?

2) an 8e error is typically driver related.

3) From MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839635

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
        I tried to watch a file through media player and it said i did not have the codec for the file to run properly. It gave me an option to update so i did...it still worked a short while after that until i came off the internet and tried to get back on it.....it said invalid path to get to internet. Within minutes of trying to connect again the blue screen came up....yesterday it had an 07 stop code but today it is 08.....i cannot get onto internet to download hotfix or anything.....it will not let me into safe mode. I can start windows but it shuts down to the blue screen after about 100 seconds...

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »
        You probably downloaded malware along with the codec (shouldn't be watching those kind of files ;) ). You'll need to post in the malware section here, but if you like you can download a boot time scanner from Avira or Avast or Bit Defender, burn it to a cd, and run a scan at boot.

And please, next time you post a problem give all the background the first time. Why make us drag it out of you?

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »
          Haha....not a file like that!!!! Thankyou for your advice and i will try the malware forum.

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
            i have tried to do as you suggested but cannot put bit defender onto my home computer to run it before the blue screen appears again....any help would be appreciated.
             ???

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »
            You need to download it to another computer and create the bootable disc.

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »
              I have downloaded from my laptop onto a disc but when  i put it into my home computer drive it starts to install it....by the time i get to pressing next to install the blue screen appears again.

choonz

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
                hi its me again, i have got a windows disk to wipe my computer but dont know how to use it. could you tell me how i can do this?

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »
                Boot to the Windows CD (make sure the cd is the first item in the boot order in your bios) and the installation process will initiate. You'll be given the option to format before installing.