Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying files PC to PC and PC to Ntwk Storage is PAINFULLY SLOW  (Read 4099 times)

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi,

I have 2 notebooks, a router and a Netgear SC101 network storage device.

One notebook is Vista 32bit wireless to the router and about about 6 months old.
    One notebook is Vista 64bit wireless to the router and about 1 month old.

The Netgear SC101 is CAT5 to the router.
    The Netgear SC101 is a little less than 2 years old.  It has plenty of space on its drives.

The Router is a Belkin - i forget the model number - it's about 2 years old.  WEP is NOT enabled - it's totally open.

From time to time I copy all my data from my notebook wirelessly to the Netgear.  I get throughput of about 5kbps to 35kbps.  Downloading files from the Internet is wicked fast!  File transfer from PC to PC and PC to netgear is painfully slow.

Why is this?

Thanks.

Herb

pragma

Beginner

Re: Copying files PC to PC and PC to Ntwk Storage is PAINFULLY SLOW
      « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »
      What kind of throughput do you see when you download from the internet?

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »
        Hi pragma, thanks for the reply.  When I download stuff from the internet I get about 1.5 Megabits per sec.
        Herb

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
          Hi Rob,
          Thanks for the reply.  I don't know if I am.  I have vista 32bit on one notebook and vista 64bit on the other.  The one I'm testing with is the one that this thread is about is the vista 64bit with SP1.  It's a new notebook < 1 month old.
          Herb

killerb255

Adviser
            « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
            Is your Vista 32-bit running SP1 or SP2?  If not, upgrade them. 

You'll have to install SP1 before SP2, and it takes FOREVER.  Just a fair warning.  ;)
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »
              Hi killerb255,
              Thanks for the reply.
              My Vista 32bit is not even SP1 AFAIK.  I haven't even done any testing with that one so that might not be an issue.
              Herb987

killerb255

Adviser
                « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
                :facepalms: DUH!!  I should have thought about these in the beginning:

1) Transferring files between computers using a wireless connection is going to be slow no matter what. 

Granted Wireless-G can go up to 54 Mbps, that Megabits per second, not Megabytes per second.

So divide 54 by 8 and you get roughly 6.75 MBps (bytes is represented by a capital B, bits is a lowercase b). 

However, that 6.75 MBps is under ideal conditions.  Latency, distance between the laptop and wireless router, obstacles, and all that play a major role in speed.  You'd be lucky to get more than 3 MBps in most cases...

2) Copying multiple files simultaneously will also be a factor--the laptop's hard drive has to do more searching to copy multiple files from multiple locations on the disk platters.  Your Netgear NAS won't suffer from this as much, as it most likely has a RAID array, which is striping the data across multiple drives.

3) Belkin products are notoriously crappy.  You get what you pay for with these.  If they performed as well as better consumer-grade routers, then they wouldn't be as cheap.

If you want faster file copies, use CAT5 between your laptops/NAS/router. 

4) The reason you seem to be doing okay on the Internet is because your connection is only 1.5 Mbps.  Again, divide by 8 = 0.1875 MBps.  Since you're used to that speed on the Internet, of course you're going to say it's fine!  However, copying gigs and gigs of files from PC to PC or PC to NAS over a wireless connection, and it doesn't seem as fast anymore. 

Try the reverse: copy your gigs and gigs of stuff over the Internet and copy a few text files from one computer to another over your wireless.  I guarantee you that your Internet's not going to seem so fast nor is your wireless LAN going to seem so slow...
                Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:45:43 PM »
                  killerb255 - Thanks for all the info.

Normally I backup my D:\ to my ntwk storage and its really slow.
                  How would I run the same test over the internet?

For example if I have a 100 Meg file and it takes a few hours to copy to the ntwk storage how would i test that over the internet to see how the speed compares.

Also what I might try is downloading some big file from the internet the way I normally would and then copying that same file to the ntwk storage and see if there is a difference in copy speed.

I'll let you know what I find out about that.

If you have any ideas regarding my question higher up in this post, LMK.

Thanks.
                  Herb

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
                    killerb255 - also regarding the CAT5 for notebook to router to nas - I've done that and there appears to be no difference.

I will try that again though - It can't hurt to test it again.

I'll let you know what I find out about this too.

Herb

killerb255

Adviser
                      « Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
                      killerb255 - Thanks for all the info.

No problem.  Experience can be a great (and often embarassing at times) teacher. :)

Normally I backup my D:\ to my ntwk storage and its really slow.
                      How would I run the same test over the internet?

For example if I have a 100 Meg file and it takes a few hours to copy to the ntwk storage how would i test that over the internet to see how the speed compares.

There are several ways to pull this off:
                      1) If you chat with your buddies over IM (Yahoo, AIM, Live, etc.), try sending them a ginormous file.  This will take forever--I guarantee.  Conversely, have them send you a ginormous file.  Again, it'll take forever.
                      2) Upload a ginormous file to some file sharing service like Rapidshare or Megaupload.  Try downloading the same file afterward.
                      3) I'm not sure if this would be an option, but if you work at a place that allows you to work from home, and you sign into the corporate network through a VPN, try uploading/downloading from a company network drive.  Again, this'll take forever...

killerb255 - also regarding the CAT5 for notebook to router to nas - I've done that and there appears to be no difference.

I will try that again though - It can't hurt to test it again.

I'll let you know what I find out about this too.

Herb

This time, when you try it, disable the wireless connection on the laptop you're using.  It may be trying to use your wireless connection during the file copy, even though you have a CAT5 cable connected...

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
                        Hi killerb255,

I disconnnected all other computers from my network, turned off the wireless on the notebook in question, made that notebook cat5 to the router and the netgear sc101 was already cat5 to the router.

I downloaded a large file from the internet (MS Dot Net learning editions (the full install cd) from microsoft) and it didn't take very long (i dont remember the time it took) and then I copied it to my network storage and it took almost a day.  I don't remember the times for each but the time differences were wildly different.

Herb

Saurabhdua

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
                          « Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
                          Hello Folks! :D

A 'Wonder' solution for all your 'Slow' copy issues>>>>>TERACOPY!

A Freeware, Go & Grab the 'Latest Version' through Filehippo.com

Herb987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
                            Hi, Saurabhdua.

Thanks for the reply.  I tried it.  It works great!

I found it here:
                            http://www.codesector.com/download.php

Also here's more info:
                            "Vista TCP/IP and UAC AutoPatch 6.0 *update* "
                            I found it at SoftPedia.com
                            http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/TCP-IP-Limit-AutoPatch.shtml
                            It has a .BAT file in the compressed archive for Vista32 and Vista64.

Herb