Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cCleaner  (Read 6168 times)

EEVIAC

cCleaner
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »
I haven't been a user of cCleaner until recently and I'm wondering if the registry cleaner that comes with it is useful and/or safe?   

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
    Re: cCleaner
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »
    Yes it's safe and useful.

Instead of using only registry cleaners better to use the software that come with multiple applications such as "TuneUp Utilities". As I'm the user of this it's having a lot of useful things. Try once.
    Vikram...

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »
      NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I do not recommend ANY of these so called Registry Cleaners. The registry is a very fragile part of Windows, and any error made could lead to program errors, or worse, a BSOD. They are not worth the risk they pose on your system.

Unless you are getting specific Registry errors while you run windows, there is no reason to 'clean it.' You will not notice any specific preformance gain. Kepp your temp files clean, delete bulk history, and upgrade your RAM if you need to so your competer doesn't use the Swapfile so much. But don't try to run a Registry cleaner. It is not necessary, and the risk is NOT worth it.   
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:14 AM »
      While the registry isn't quite as fragile as Griff says, I do agree with him that registry cleaners do more harm than good. There are some that are pretty benign, but then that raises the question: "what possible good do they do?". Bottom line, forget about registry cleaners. And if you insist on using one, first backup your registry with either the internal utility in regedit or a GREAT free utility like ERUNT or, best of all, a disk imaging utility.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
      I'm at odds with the majority opinions expressed here. I do agree with the notion that registry cleaners should generally be avoided. But, I disagree with applying the same general principle to CCleaner.  In other words, CCleaner is an exception. I've used it's registry cleaner scores of times and have never had a problem as a result of that.

Keep in mine that all one needs to do is backup the registry, as prompted by CCleaner.  The purpose of that step is to be able to restore the registry to it's former state should some problem arise from having run the registry cleaner.

You will not notice any specific preformance gain.
      I would also somewhat agree that frequent use of even CCleaner's safe registry cleaner is probably unnecessary. But, I believe computer users who run CCleaner's registry cleaner on a system that's been in active use for several years, never had any registry cleaning, and where CCleaner finds hundreds of items that can be removed from the registry, may, indeed, notice a smoother running, more responsive computer after the cleaning.

If you search for reviews, you'll find many favorable comments on CCleaner.  For example: http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/software-reviews/clean-up/24090/1/ccleaner

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
      I haven't been a user of cCleaner until recently and I'm wondering if the registry cleaner that comes with it is useful and/or safe?   
      I've been using it for a couple years, never had a problem with it.  Same goes for Defraggler.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
        I use the registry cleaner that comes with ERUNT.  Mind you I use it sparingly.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
        I use the registry cleaner that comes with ERUNT.  Mind you I use it sparingly.

There is no registry cleaner that comes with ERUNT - they know better. It's a registry COMPACTOR (NTREGOPT) - that's a whole other animal. And I maintain that I don't care how "harmless" a registry cleaner is for most people - they cause more harm than good.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
        I agree with Soybean 110% on this one....

CCleaner is a fine product otherwise we wouldn't be recommending it.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:19 AM »
        I agree with Soybean 110% on this one....

CCleaner is a fine product otherwise we wouldn't be recommending it.
        Fine product or not (and don't get me wrong, I've had ccleaner on my systems for years, though I rarely use it), are you suggesting the registry cleaner module is actually useful? Or is that the 10%?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
          I stand corrected  :P

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
          I stand corrected  :P

No need to get up....sit corrected as i often do.

;D
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cragtom

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
            used cCleaner for years with xp and now vista and had no PROBLEMS what so ever .
            I have used it at least once a month(who wants a comp full of crap after surfing) even used the tools section to get rid of some old symantic  stuff even after I had so-called completely removed it using the symantic tool(god I hate it when comps come with all pre-loaded @@@@)

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »
            used cCleaner for years with xp and now vista and had no PROBLEMS what so ever .
            I have used it at least once a month(who wants a comp full of crap after surfing) even used the tools section to get rid of some old symantic  stuff even after I had so-called completely removed it using the symantic tool(god I hate it when comps come with all pre-loaded @@@@)
            ok

inapaler

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
              I am another fun of it! I actually love it!

Safe, light and very helpful!