Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will Windows XP Games Work On Windows 7?  (Read 57863 times)

Juice217

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I hope you don't hate your computer as much as me.
    Will Windows XP Games Work On Windows 7?
    « on: October 27, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »
    Will Windows XP Games Work On Windows 7?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Will Windows XP Games Work On Windows 7?
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
    You'll have to try. But I've used the compatibility mode in 7 for a number of very old programs (including some custom made DOS based business apps from the mid '80's) and everything runs just fine.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
    if not working in normal installation... you can get the free windows 7 XP mode addon

Only requirements are that your computer's processor allows virtualizaton.

This way, windows XP apps are guaranteed to work (as you'll have windows xp environment in virtual PC on your computer.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »
    Just wanted to mention that many games dont like Virtualization due to the fact that they dont have explicit Access to the GPU and the virtual GPU is like a old emmulated S3 Trio 32/64 GPU found on a Pentium 1 HP Vectra. But worth a try anyways if FREE for the addon.

I have an older system for gaming with XP Pro SP3 and newer system for Win 7. I am playng games on XP Pro SP3 for best performance and reliability. Win 7 consumes more resources, although Win 7 is a sweet OS and far better than the Vista that I hate and downgraded back to XP after using for a day.

cheche

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »
      I think most of Windows XP games will work in WIndows 7. Why would Microsoft create OS that is not compatible with their earlier OS version..

Juice217

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I hope you don't hate your computer as much as me.
        « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:10:19 AM »
        I think most of Windows XP games will work in Windows 7. Why would Microsoft create OS that is not compatible with their earlier OS version..

Oh it happens, for instance a windows 95 compatible game is most likely not to work on an Windows XP or Higher

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
        Oh it happens, for instance a windows 95 compatible game is most likely not to work on an Windows XP or Higher

Actually, they have very seldom, if ever, broken something between versions. The reason games/programs stop working is because they were programmed wrong. If a function is undocumented then don't use it. if a certain behaviour, or memory address seems to contain something in one version of windows it's probably going ot change in the next version.

A prime example is copying window structures; MS has never documented the layout of the window class data; instead they provide functions and messages, which work just as well.

Nonetheless, some clever programmers determine, perhaps by analyzing memory, that a window handle is really a memory pointer to that window structure, and that, if properly defined, they can copy it and view it.

the problem is, the layout is undocumented; the fact that, for example, the windows top and left position occur in a certain order in say windows 95 or windows 3.1 is no guarantee that it will remain the same in future versions.

this sort of thing is done all over the place; and almost every time, there is a simple function that performs what the coder wrote 3 pages of memory access and manipulation code, and is supported to work in future operating systems.

Now there is no denying that MS changes the inner architecture immensely, and certain programs, like debuggers, might be affected, but nearly 99% of all programs written to conform to the Windows API documentation will work perfectly fine in future versions.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

progach

Rookie

• i am working hard to be the programmer
          « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »
          i guess there some old programs that can work fine nd do not forget to use compatibility mode.i think it's gonna work ;)

cintari

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »
          You'll have to try. But I've used the compatibility mode in 7 for a number of very old programs (including some custom made DOS based business apps from the mid '80's) and everything runs just fine.
          Really? Have you tried it yet with system shock 2 because getting that game running on 64 bit windows vista with all the addons is sooo frustrating.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »
          Really? Have you tried it yet with system shock 2 because getting that game running on 64 bit windows vista with all the addons is sooo frustrating.

Yes, really. What does your question have to do with my statement?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
          Personally, Games like System Shock 2 and so forth that have trouble running on another platform were at their core badly programmed. personally I try to stay away from programs, games or otherwise, whose programmers refused to read standard Documentation. I mean, what else did they f-up?

My favourite part is how everybody blames MS, lol. and yet a number of games designed for windows 98SE STILL work with Vista x64; simply because they were written PROPERLY.

the only sure-fire cure for these sorts of issues is a patch from the program/game vendor; while you can "force" the game to run, you'll usually be less then pleased at the results. I've seen games that literally loop through, allocating the same memory block over and over again until it is in a certain range- there is no reason for this. sometimes, to make it funner they don't release the hundreds of other allocations they made to get this "magic value".

And what happens when the implementation of memory management changes? what if ALL addresses are returned outside that range by definition? then the screen goes black,you wait a minute or two, and the game/program crashes. The fact is the game was badly designed to begin with and only worked by the skin on it's variables to begin with, it's no fault of microsoft that flakey programs built in this way might have issues when MS changes the entire implementation of their OS (but not the programming interfaces unless they have to, this is an important point). This includes both moving form windows 9x to the NT platform as much as it means moving from x86 to x64 architecture; but the latter is far more pronounced.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nadav224

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »
            It should be compatible.

natalo77

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
              yes they will work guys
              i found this out by accident

autorun.exe files will NOT work on a higher OS

however, setup files that run on XP WILL work purely because auto run files change whenever a new OS comes out to accommodate the higher res.

but setup files and game files are designed to run multi format, (silly i know)  so for these reasons, XP, VISTA, or any other OS games will work on win. 7  you just have to go into the disk and select the setup.dos/.exe file by yourself

chaio

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
              Aside from the fact you don't know what you are talking about, you are responding t a year old thread.

natalo77

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
                well why are you repsonding?
                im just trying to share my skills in aid of others