Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to wipe hard drive on an Apple iBook G4 with no Mac OS X installation disk?  (Read 20743 times)

richardmflood

Topic Starter

I recently purchased an Apple iBook G4 at a yard sale (w/o Mac OS X disks). I want to wipe out all the files from the previous owner, (w/o having to reinstall Mac OS X) but don't know how...any suggestions?

azulyx

Rookie
      Hi Richard

You Can Try create a New User and Delete the Old One.
      Most of Times  files and Application are Related to User and not to All Users.

Hope That Helps

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      Agreed.  The only other way you can remove everything is to have the original mac os install discs.

If you want to just delete the old account, open up system preferences, go to "Accounts," create a new account, then login with the new account.  Once you're in with the new account, you can go back to system preferences and delete the old account.

richardmflood

Topic Starter

Re: mac iBook G4 goes to grey screen on startup, please help!
        « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
        I have a mac iBook G4, (w/OS X 10.4.11) with no installation disks. When I attempt to startup, it goes to a grey screen and states several codes, including: "panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E1Ec4): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook6,7".

At the bottom of the screen, it also states: panic: We are hanging here...

Can somebody please help me out here and point me in the right direction. I'd like to be able to repair this problem myself, if possible.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        Once again, the only way to fix your issue is with mac os install discs.

You could run a disk repair from another friend's mac, but it still won't fix the OS corruption issues you're having.

I would look on eBay for some Tiger install cd's/dvd.  They should be fairly cheap there.