Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Stopped Working  (Read 2415 times)

scout2

Internet Stopped Working
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
Hi.

My internet stopped working on my Vista, but it's not the actual DSL's problem, because this computer obviously can connect to the internet.

The computer I'm talking about is a Gateway Netbook with Vista Basic. I've gone through one of these internet problems before, which was solved within a few seconds with the commands "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt".

Now, neither is fixing the Vista. I have a system restore point before the internet problem, but I really do not want to resort to that until I've eliminated all other possibilities.

Interesting note: when I try "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt", it says "Access Denied" for the "Reset Echo" line, even when I run cmd.exe elevated.

So, help anyone?

Thanks.  :(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Internet Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »
N o, I have no help. But may I ask a question?
Could you tell me if that is the method your DSL company recommends when vista will not connect?
My experience has been with XP. I just got Vista and Windows 7 and never had to do whet you did. But my system is not a net book. It is a plain old P4 system. But runs fine on Vista. I am surprised to hear you are having trouble with netbook. I would think by now those kind of problems would be a thing of the past Do you think there may be a hardware glitch on your machine? I have worked with electronics for years and know there is a small but real chance of new equipment having early problems due to manufacturing issues.

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:40:47 AM »
Scout2 -
I have no help either, however I had the same problem a few days ago.  I did not know how to fix it so I just went to something else and the next day it had fixed itself.  At least it is now working.   Bob

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »
My internet stopped working on my Vista, but it's not the actual DSL's problem, because this computer obviously can connect to the internet.

So, two computers, right?

How do you connect to the Internet with your netbook, wired or wireless?  Do you have a wireless router?