Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No icons, start menu, only desktop backgound....  (Read 15415 times)

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

No icons, start menu, only desktop backgound....
    « on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
    I have a HP a712n computer. I am using windows xp and my task manager does work.  I have tried all of the following to try and fix this, but so far, nothing has worked...

1) System restore
    2) Last known good configuration
    3) defragment and error check
    3). I have ran malware and superantispyware and Norton (I do not run them at the same time) have several viruses, and removed them.
    4). I can go into regedit and look at my registry, but explorer.exe is not there
    5). I type explorer or explorer.exe in the new task and it pops up a box that says "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item".
    6). I have booted in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with prompts and tried all kinds of things, but nothing works.  Same blank screen in safe mode.
    7). I have ran the exehelper that I seen listed in another post on here, and here is what comes up....

exeHelper by Raktor
    Build 20091021
    Run at 11:57:00 on 10/31/09
    Now searching...
    Checking for numerical processes...
    Checking for bad processes...
    Checking for bad files...
    Checking for bad registry entries...
    Resetting filetype association for .exe
    Error occurred while processing: exefile.
    .exe=exefile
    Resetting filetype association for .com
    comfile="%1" %*
    .com=comfile
    Resetting userinit and shell values...
    Resetting policies...
    --Finished--

Press any key to continue . . .

There was nothing new put on computer and we don't keep anything of importance in it. 

Can someone please help me get my desktop back?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: No icons, start menu, only desktop backgound....
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
    1) What happened between the last time everything worked properly and the first time it did not (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Have you done a full system scan with BOTH your anti virus utility AND MalwareBytes? If not, do so now.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
      Nothing happened.  My son said that everything on computer froze up so he turned it off and rebooted, and no icons, nothing.

I did a full system scan with Norton (found nothing), Superantispyware and Malwarebytes.  There were several adware tracking cookies and a few other trojans and it removed all of it.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »
      Okay, well SOMETHING happened - these things don't occur spontaneously. But lets try a couple of things.

1) First, boot to the XP CD and choose the first repair option. That will take you to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r. It will take a while to complete, let it do so. When it's finished type "exit" and press ENTER to reboot.

2) If still no joy, we can try a repair install.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
        I do not have the XP cd. 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
        You can borrow one for the repair efforts - it's both legal and effective. Try to borrow the same version you currently have in case we have to do the repair install. If you can't borrow one right away, you can download a .iso that will boot you to the recovery console (you have to use a utility to burn the .iso image to cd): http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:26:57 AM »
          I will see what I can do.  Right now I am not at home, I am on my work computer.  I thought that there was some sort of repair thing in my computer, but I could wrong.  Can  I buy a new xp cd?  I don't know anyone that has one.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
          Sure you can. Assuming you intend to keep using XP for the forseeable future you should have one anyway.

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
            I am having the EXACT same problem.Only my Background shows up.Task manager works,and I am also having the "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". Please, SOMEONE HELP!

BTW, How did you manage to get the start menu to come up?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
            I am having the EXACT same problem.Only my Background shows up.Task manager works,and I am also having the "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". Please, SOMEONE HELP!

BTW, How did you manage to get the start menu to come up?

You need to either start your own thread or sit quietly and watch this one. This is not your thread.

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
              You need to either start your own thread or sit quietly and watch this one. This is not your thread.

umm ya Allan, i started my own.That "patio" guy posted some click here stuff,Which just told me how to get rid of spyware,Malware,Viruses,etc.
              Yeah,what great help.
              -.-

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
                I don't have the start menu.  I access everything through task manager.  The only way I got Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to run was to run exehelper and then hurry up and run the scan.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
                Okay. If I were you I'd download a boot time av scanner, burn it to a cd, boot to it and run a full virus scan at boot.

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
                  Okay. If I were you I'd download a boot time av scanner, burn it to a cd, boot to it and run a full virus scan at boot.

Not sure if you are talking to me or not.I know it's not my post,but not getting much help from anyone else.
                  What should i download?
                  I have tried:
                  Advance System Care
                  O.S. Pro
                  Superanti spyware
                  Spyhunter
                  Panda Security
                  AVG 8.0
                  Norton
                  Spyware Removal pro.
                  etc.

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
                  I am NOT talking to you in this thread. Please, this is not your thread - you are only confusing things here.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
                    Malwarebytes is the best that I have ever used and it is free.  I ran a lot of stuff and still do not have explorer.exe, that's why I am here.

Allan

• Mastermind
                    « Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
                    You don't have an anti virus utility? Well, that's a problem then - and probably the reason you are having problems. As I said, you should download and run a boot time av scanner.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
                      Allan, I do have Norton Antivirus and it is up to date.

Allan

• Mastermind
                      « Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
                      Okay, I misunderstood your previous post. Since you can't 'get to it' to run a scan, let's go with the boot time av. The Norton AV cd should run one for you if you boot to it.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »
                        I can get it to run and I did a full system scan, but Norton does not find anything wrong.  I also ran a full system scan with Malwarebytes and Superantisypware and both on those found a bunch of adware tracking cookies and a couple of trojans and they deleted them.

Allan

• Mastermind
                        « Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
                        I'm sorry - you already said that didn't you. Got thrown off by that other poster. Let's go back to where we were with the checkdisk from the recovery console first and a repair install if needed after that.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
                          This is probably a dumb question, but doesn't my computer have a recovery console built into it?  I know when I boot up it shows 2 things, either windows xp or I believe the other one says something about recovery or something. 

Allan

• Mastermind
                          « Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
                          The Recovery Console can be installed as a boot option, though it's not there by default. But if whoever installed your OS did install the RC as a boot option that's great (I think everyone should). If it's there, just select it at boot and go from there.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
                            I think I do have that.  I will check when I get home.  I was afraid to mess with it, that is why I didn't try it.  Is there any advice or anything that I need to know before I try it?

Allan

• Mastermind
                            « Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »
                            When you boot to the recovery console you'll be asked two questions. First you'll be asked which windows installation you want - enter the number 1. Then you'll be asked for a password. Assuming there is none, just press ENTER. You'll be dropped at a command prompt. At that point type: chkdsk /r and press ENTER.

It will run two scans (one for file integrity, the second for disk integrity). When it's finished you'll be told it found and repaired one or more errors. Type "exit" and press enter. The system will reboot. To be honest, I don't expect this to fix your problems, but we need to get it out of the way before doing a repair install.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
                              Okay, I will look as soon as I get home and let you know what happens.  I will post back later tonight.  Thank you for your help so far. 

Allan

• Mastermind
                              « Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
                              Sure

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »
                                Okay,I did the chkdsk /r and it didn't help. What next?

Allan

• Mastermind
                                « Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:16 AM »
                                The only option I can think of at this point is a repair install, and for that you do need an XP CD (the same version that is currently installed - Home or Pro - and with a service pack at least as current as installed). Boot to the CD and this time choose the SECOND repair option. This will install XP on top of itself, replacing all system files with their original versions. All installed programs and settings should remain intact, but you will have to download all MS Updates after doing the repair.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:23 AM »
                                  okay. thank you for all your help.  once i get the cd i will do that and post back.

Allan

• Mastermind
                                  « Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:34 AM »
                                  Not sure how much help I've actually been, but you're welcome. Good luck :)

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »
                                    One more thing, does this log tell you anything?

******************************************************************************
                                    *             AVPFind.bat - (c) 09/01/2009 By Chaslang                       *
                                    *                                                                            *
                                    *   Helps to identify potential AntiVirus Pro infected system DLL files and  *
                                    *   and poosible replacement files to use during cleanup.                    *

Windows OS is 

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

============= Finding copies of eventlog.dll =================================
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\eventlog.dll" 56320 04/13/2008 07:11 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\eventlog.dll" 55808 08/04/2004 02:00 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\eventlog.dll" 56320 04/13/2008 07:11 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\eventlog.dll" 56320 04/13/2008 07:11 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventlog.dll" 56320 04/13/2008 07:11 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\eventlog.dll" 56320 04/13/2008 07:11 PM

============= Finding copies of netlogon.dll =================================
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\netlogon.dll" 407040 08/04/2004 02:00 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\netlogon.dll" 407040 04/13/2008 07:12 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\I386\NETLOGON.DL_" 181419 08/04/2004 07:00 AM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\netlogon.dll" 407040 04/13/2008 07:12 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\netlogon.dll" 407040 04/13/2008 07:12 PM

============= Finding copies of scecli.dll   =================================
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\scecli.dll" 180224 08/04/2004 02:00 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\scecli.dll" 181248 04/13/2008 07:12 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\scecli.dll" 181248 04/13/2008 07:12 PM
                                    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll" 181248 04/13/2008 07:12 PM

Allan

• Mastermind
                                    « Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:39 AM »
                                    I'm not a malware expert but I don't see anything there, no. However, it seems you're using ERUNT - have you tried restoring your registry with a relatively recent backup?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 06:23:51 AM »
                                      I'm not sure what you mean.  How do I do that?

Allan

• Mastermind
                                      « Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »
                                      See if you can find a program folder ERDNT on your system at c:\windows\erdnt. If so, there should be a subfolder named "backup" and in there several folders with dates on them. Do you see that?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »
                                        I'm at work, not at home.  I will have to look later :  (

Allan

• Mastermind
                                        « Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »
                                        Okay. And if you can't find that I missed one step - have you tried System Restore?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 06:47:23 AM »
                                          Yes, but it won't work.

Allan

• Mastermind
                                          « Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »
                                          Okay. Well ERUNT will be another form of that if you have it installed.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
                                            Okay, I do have ERDNT.  There are several things under it with dates.  Here is what they are....
                                            default 10-31-09
                                            erdnt.con 10-31-09
                                            erdnt.exe 10-31-09
                                            erdnt.inf 10-31-09
                                            erdntdos.loc 8-31-2000
                                            erdntwin.loc 8-31-2000
                                            sam 10-31-09
                                            security 10-31-09
                                            system 10-31-09

Allan

• Mastermind
                                            « Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 06:03:38 AM »
                                            Well, if you want to restore the registry to October 31 you can, but I don't know if that will help (it may be after the problem appeared). If you DO want to do that, double-click on erdnt.exe in the folder you mentioned above and follow the instructions. But if that date is after the problem appeared we're back to a repair install.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 06:08:28 AM »
                                              That is after the problem.  Also, my system restore only goes back to 10-15-09 and that is also after the problem.  This started on 10-08-09.  I guess I will just have to buy a windows xp cd.

Quantos

Guru
                                              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                                                • Yes
                                                • Yes
                                              • Computer: Specs
                                              « Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
                                              lbeham, I'm going to suggest something called Taskbar Repair Tool.
                                              Evil is an exact science.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »
                                                Okay, I  am at work now, so I cannot do anything until I get home.  Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do this so I can print it off and take it home with me?

Quantos

Guru
                                                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                                                  • Yes
                                                  • Yes
                                                • Computer: Specs
                                                « Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
                                                Actually I can't.  I haven't needed it in a long time, but with only three drop down boxes it is quite easy to use.
                                                Evil is an exact science.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »
                                                  Okay.  I will try it.   I have tried so many things, and so far nothing has worked.  I'm getting very frustrated :  (

Allan

• Mastermind
                                                  « Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »
                                                  I don't think that utility will help you. Nor do I think it will hurt, but I have to believe you're going to need to do the repair installation.

Karnac

Specialist

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
                                                    3). I have ran malware and superantispyware and Norton (I do not run them at the same time) have several viruses, and removed them.

Why not run HJT and let Evil have a look at a log....you had viruses, you probably didn't get them all....he can't do anything for you without logs.

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Allan

• Mastermind
                                                    « Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
                                                    Can't hurt.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
                                                      What all logs do you need me to do and post?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »
                                                        I mean, is Hijackthis the only log that I would need to post IF I can get it to run?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
                                                          I will not let me run HJT.  It says "windows cannot find the specified path, file.  You may not have the appropriate permission to access the file".  I even tried to rename it and it won't let me.  Says access denied. 

Allan

• Mastermind
                                                          « Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
                                                          Can you get to safe mode?

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 05:45:48 AM »
                                                            Yea, I can get into safe mode.  I know I tried running it from there before, and it wouldn't let me.  Same thing, but I can try it again when I get home.

Allan

• Mastermind
                                                            « Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »
                                                            In safe mode, try running it as administrator.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
                                                              I tried running it in safe mode under adminstator, and it will not let me.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
                                                                Okay, I got it to run and here it is plus the malwarebytes log too.  Superantivirus found nothing.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                                                                Scan saved at 1:20:55 PM, on 11/8/2009
                                                                Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                                                                MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
                                                                Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
                                                                C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\ccSvcHst.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\ccSvcHst.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                                                                c:\program files\aim toolbar\aimtbServer.exe
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
                                                                C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
                                                                C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\sniper\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
                                                                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                                                                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                                                                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                                                                R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                                                                R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm
                                                                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://homepeople.info/
                                                                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
                                                                R3 - URLSearchHook: AIM Toolbar Search Class - {03402f96-3dc7-4285-bc50-9e81fefafe43} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
                                                                R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\IPSBHO.DLL
                                                                O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SearchHelper.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: AIM Toolbar Loader - {b0cda128-b425-4eef-a174-61a11ac5dbf8} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: MSN Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1125.0\msneshellx.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
                                                                O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\YTSingleInstance.dll
                                                                O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
                                                                O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
                                                                O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1125.0\msneshellx.dll
                                                                O3 - Toolbar: AIM Toolbar - {61539ecd-cc67-4437-a03c-9aaccbd14326} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iRiver Updater] \Updater.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] c:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Default Manager] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Creative WebCam Tray] C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CAMTRAY.EXE
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [combofix] C:\cf\CF1815.exe /c C:\cf\Combobatch.bat
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
                                                                O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [combofix] C:\cf\CF1815.exe /c C:\cfCombobatch.bat
                                                                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
                                                                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\d957095e-6a85-4dab-bbe5-f9a2ee92af66.exe
                                                                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Octoshape Streaming Services] "C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Application Data\Octoshape\Octoshape Streaming Services\OctoshapeClient.exe" -inv:bootrun
                                                                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                                                                O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [SYMNRT] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/servlet/ProductMessages?module=2010&error=0&language=en&product=SymNRT&version=2010.0.0.98&build=Symantec&a=00000082.00000097.000001cf
                                                                O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
                                                                O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
                                                                O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\309731\Program\Updates from HP.exe
                                                                O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Toolbar Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AIM Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
                                                                O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                                                                O9 - Extra button: AIM Toolbar - {0b83c99c-1efa-4259-858f-bcb33e007a5b} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
                                                                O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                                                                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                                                                O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.net - {F4430FE8-2638-42e5-B849-800749B94EED} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming.Net\PartyPokerNet\RunPF.exe
                                                                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.net - {F4430FE8-2638-42e5-B849-800749B94EED} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming.Net\PartyPokerNet\RunPF.exe
                                                                O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                                                                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                                                                O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
                                                                O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
                                                                O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa/sa_cabs/tgctlsr.cab
                                                                O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1006.cab
                                                                O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
                                                                O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
                                                                O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
                                                                O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                                                                O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
                                                                O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                                                                O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
                                                                O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                                                                O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
                                                                O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus (NAV) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\ccSvcHst.exe

--
                                                                End of file - 9730 bytes

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
                                                                Database version: 3097
                                                                Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/7/2009 2:01:18 PM
                                                                mbam-log-2009-11-07 (14-01-18).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
                                                                Objects scanned: 142013
                                                                Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
                                                                Memory Modules Infected: 0
                                                                Registry Keys Infected: 0
                                                                Registry Values Infected: 0
                                                                Registry Data Items Infected: 0
                                                                Folders Infected: 1
                                                                Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
                                                                (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
                                                                C:\WINDOWS\addins\addins (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »
                                                                  My problem is fixed.  Anyone wanting to know how to fix this problem, go to geekstogo.com, go into forums and type explorer.exe in the search engine and go to "explorer.exe not found?" a forum that I started.  I'm not saying it will fix your problem, but it did mine. I got my desktop back!  Thanks to everyone on here for trying to help me.

lbeham

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
                                                                    I guess some people are having a hard time finding my forum that solved my problem, so here it is.  Just copy and paste it.  Hope it helps.   http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/explorer-exe-not-found-t258430.html