Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thinkpad T20 - Hardrive? Display? Who knows!  (Read 2382 times)

zwk027

Thinkpad T20 - Hardrive? Display? Who knows!
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
Note: Thread was placed in this section because it was deemed the most relevant. please feel free to relocate if it is felt the thread is better suited elsewhere. Thanks

Hello,

The model of the computer in question is a Thinkpad T20 type 2647 41u.
pentium iii, 700 mhz, 256mb memory, hitacha dk23aa HDD,
(beauty of notebook ;) )

The issue:

Awhile ago the computer starting bogging down severly ( there may have been more issues, it was awhile ago). The actions I took were to format the computer, and reinstall the OS. The format completed, however the OS failed to install.

Now I am revisiting the issue to try to revive this laptop.

Steps/Notes of actions so far:

- notebook starts up, and will enter bios, is bios the hardrive, cd-rom etc are recognized with their proper names.

- if you let it boot (without a windows disk in the cd-rom) from the hardrive the message, the Managed PC Boot Agent launches, displays some text, then the error: 'PXE-E61: Media failure, check cable' is displayed.

-if you boot from an install disk, the setup screen will display, however when you press enter to continue, the screen goes black (still backlit) and stays there.

-note: i tried removing the harddrive and putting it into another laptop, ran the windows 2000 install, and the setup will go PAST the freeze point. But, a few steps later, when you select the drive to partition, or place the OS on, the text 'Cannot select this drive' is displayed. Pressing enter anyway yields a blue error screen.

-note: i tried to run the DOS PC Doctor, but nothing launched ( not sure if this model is capable?)

That is essentially the summary of the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can not determine if its the harddrive, or display or something else.

Thank you to anyone with comments!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Thinkpad T20 - Hardrive? Display? Who knows!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
Remove the laptop's battery overnight.
Also while at it remove the access panel to the hard drive...reseat the drive connectors and try again.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "