Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 3.5.5 crashes repeatedly  (Read 9251 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Firefox 3.5.5 crashes repeatedly
    « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »
    So, BC_Programmer. If you know about this problem, do you think the FF people do to and are working on a fix or a patch on that?  If so, do you think it makes sense to wait for the patch or to "roll back" to the old Adobe 8 (why from 10 to 8, why not to 9).
      Honestly, I don't know how to roll back  :-[

I mean what do you suggest: Keep the Adobe 10 and use FF gently until they get the problem fixed.

Or, go back to an older version of Adobe and run the risk of finding "This site requires an adobe update".

And, if your advice is to "roll back" can you explain how to do that please? Which version should we roll back to and where do we find it?

so many questions...

Thanks!
    DrD

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Firefox 3.5.5 crashes repeatedly
    « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
    All I did was go to tools->add-ons->plugins, and disable the Flash 10 plugin. I restarted firefox, and enabled the flash 8 plugin using the same procedure. I'm not sure if a version 9 plugin exists, but if you have it you could try enabling that one.

This is not a bug in Firefox, but a bug with the Adobe Plugin; it is adobe's responsibility, not FFs. I thought it was annoying however since FF insisted originally that I needed to download the plugin to fix "severe security vulnerabilities" I did get it from adobe.com though.

Considering Adobe has yet to even announce anything about a 64-bit plugin for ANY browser, and how slow they are releasing pretty much anything, I think we have a while yet.

After a few days of random restarts FF told me that the Flash 10 plugin was causing the crashes; I rolled back and haven't had a problem since.

Also, I have encountered very few sites that require Flash 10; not that it matters, IMO, it's more important that the browser works; if I couldn't use any flash version I would disable it completely.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.