Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drivers  (Read 3759 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Drivers
    « on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
    Hi to every one:

I have Windows XP Pro, and would like to know the following regarding drivers.  I have recently been getting e-mails from programs such as Driver Genius 9.0 to do a free scan and determine if any of my drivers are out of date or in need of repair.  I am not experiencing any problems with my computer. 

Their free scan indicates that I have 5 drivers that are out of date and that they can update all of them with the purchase of their program, $29.95 for one year license which of course they claim will make the computer run better than it does now.  WOT indicates they are a safe site.

Do they actually find Drivers that Windows XP can't deliver by just going to: Control Panel>System>Hardware>Drivers?  A Windows XP Wizard search of each of the Drivers that Driver Genius 9.0 indicated were out of date, produced a result for all 5 listed drivers that stated that there currently were no better Drivers than what I have now, and that they all are working normally.

I know Computer Hope will have the correct answer on this one.

Thank you,
    beachguy

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Drivers
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:03 PM »
    If your drivers are working properly and you have no reason to think any of them are causing problems, or if you think a newer version might be faster, there is no reason to update them.

Personally I've had more problems occur when I update my drivers; except in a few rare instances where I noticed specific issues with an older version.

Either way- there is no reason to use a program to search for drivers. a tiny bit of education about your hardware (video card, sound card, Etc) and you'll be able to simply go to the manufacturer's site and download the newest versions.

For example; my Video card, is a "BFG Tech Geforce 9800GT. If I wanted to update the drivers (for whatever reason) I would first go to bfgtech.com and see if there are new versions there. (actually, this is what I had to do since the driver cd didn't work for some reason)

If not, The card uses a NVidia chipset, and NVidia releases "reference" drivers that work with most of their Graphics processors.

my motherboard is made my GIGABYTE, so if for some reason I am unhappy with the version of the drivers I installed, I would go there and find it.

The main reason people turn to these sorts of programs is actually simply laziness; it's good to automate things, but IMO automating Driver updating is like registry cleaning; it can often cause more problems then it solves. To make matters worse, a good number of people believe that keeping drivers "up to date" is part of regular PC maintenance. It isn't- The drivers perform a critical function, and if they are working there is no cause for concern; unless there is a specific issue that may be solved by a driver update; for example, speaking again of my video card; when I played "crysis" on any graphics setting, it worked flawlessly, but after around 20 to 30 minutes, inexplicably crashed. Vista was able to determine that the driver was the culprit. After a week or so I relented and discovered that the newest version was only a few days old, upon installation I found crysis worked perfectly fine (as long as I kept it one notch below the highest settings). In this case there was an issue with the driver and I attempted to solve it with a new version, and (miracle of miracles) I was partially successful.

Not every "driver-search" program is a scam, but they are a waste of hard-earned cash and additionally can cause problems in the long run; best solution is the download new drivers from the manufacturer's site, and only when you feel it is necessary.

Also, I have witnessed instances where programs of this nature don't actually update drivers; they download the "updates" but every single one is the same size and exactly the same. Turns out that some of these "driver search" programs are a front-end for a trojan downloader.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Drivers
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
      BC_Programmer:

Thank you for the info and insight, appreciate it.

beachguy